Garage Utility Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Big Mike

Reaction score
I'm interested in putting a utility sink in my garage. I will try and post pictures if it makes things easier but for now I'll try and describe my situation

Regarding a drain- The 2" sewer pipe is about 6 ft off the floor. There is a cleanout plug directly above the place that I want to put the sink. First Question- Can I simply unscrew the drain plug, add a PVC Tee extension (Or cast iron), use a Laundry pump, and put a new PVC plug at the end?

Regarding venting- I assume it's necessary. I'm looking for the easiest way possible and since it's in a garage it doesn't have to be pretty. Can I just use an AAV? (not sure what they actually are, but saw it on this forum)

I'll post more questions as I go.

Thanks All!

Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pump discharge would need a check valve before connecting to the drain. Depending on what goes into the pump, if you do not put a trap between the sink and the basin you might be able to get by without a vent, but if you do need a vent, an AAV will NOT work.

Big Mike

Reaction score
Thanks!
When you say that it depends on what goes in the pump that I might not need a vent- If I just rinse paintbrushes and wash my hands in the sink I won't need a vent? When would I need a vent?

Big Mike

Reaction score
Maybe I'm not asking the question right. When can I get away without using a vent in my situation?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The question might be best answered by the building/plumbing inspector who will need to sign off on the installation. I believe what hj was saying is that if you installed the drain directly to the laundry pump with no trap, then there would be no need for a vent. On the other hand, if the pump basin is a sealed unit, it would require it's own vent.
Codes aside, if there is no way for sewer gas to return to the drain, a trap and vent would not be accomplishing anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks