Help with washing machine drain connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimzimma

Reaction score
Need some help with how to correct a problem with the washing machine drainage. Recently I've noticed a pvc elbow waste line for the washing machine connection leaking. Upon further inspection, there is also no trap present for the washing machine. (I'm assuming I need one) Looks like the work of previous generations of handymans in my newly purchased home.

Here is the picture:

zim-03.jpg

Black hose is washing machine connection
Vertical run of pvc runs up to the kitchen sink drain
The 180 degree elbow that comes off the the right and back to the left is a vent that exits to the outside just above the block wall.
After the washing machine "y", the horizontal pvc after the elbow (elbow that has the leak) runs over to a direct connection to the cast iron out to the pools.

I have no idea what the old cast iron trap is on the wall...maybe an old drywell?

What would be the best way to incoporate a trap into this setup and vent it properly?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Need some help with how to correct a problem with the washing machine drainage. Recently I've noticed a pvc elbow waste line for the washing machine connection leaking. Upon further inspection, there is also no trap present for the washing machine. (I'm assuming I need one) Looks like the work of previous generations of handymans in my newly purchased home.

Here is the picture:

Black hose is washing machine connection
Vertical run of pvc runs up to the kitchen sink drain
The 180 degree elbow that comes off the the right and back to the left is a vent that exits to the outside just above the block wall.
After the washing machine "y", the horizontal pvc after the elbow (elbow that has the leak) runs over to a direct connection to the cast iron out to the pools.

I have no idea what the old cast iron trap is on the wall...maybe an old drywell?

What would be the best way to incoporate a trap into this setup and vent it properly?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know where to start. First if that is 1-1/2" pipe it's to small it needs to be 2". With that said it also needs a trap & vent. What you are calling a vent is a poor attempt at one. My advice to you would be to call a plumber. I'm' sure there are other things that need to be corrected that can't be seen in you picture.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Zimzimma

Reaction score
Thanks but the reason I posted on here was to correct this myself. Any other suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not normally allowed to plumb for a washer that high off the ground.
Inspectors like to see a pump to get it up that high.

If you decide to add a p-trap, you would wye off from the 2" line,
Add a vent, which could be solid, or an AAV like a Studor Vent
Then a p-trap, with standpipe.
The hose would go into the top part of the standpipe.

Your connection now, because there is not standpipe and p-trap, is a tight fitting to prevent sewer gas from entering the room.
Those don't work well with the other plumbing.
Normally when a washer hose dumps into a standpipe, there is a bit of air that is able to pull down.
If it can't pull the air there, it finds other ways to pull air.
Sometimes not where it should.

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited:

Zimzimma

Reaction score
Thanks Terry,

My line of thinking was that the the tight connection for the washing machine would allow gases to enter down through the hose and through the washing machine somehow...is that even possible?

I do have a pump in the basement floor that services the half bath in the finished part of the basement but the thought of using that to service the washing machine as well didn't seem like a good idea to me.

If I was to add the p trap, would venting in the same manor as the current setup be acceptable?

Zimzimma

Reaction score
Ok, so adding a solid vent to a new wye configuration for the washer...how would I accomplish that?

I got the adding a wye to the 2", then a vent...then a p trap. How should I plumb the vent portion? And how tall does the standpipe need to be after the trap?

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
"If you decide to add a p-trap, you would wye off from the 2" line,
Add a vent, which could be solid, or an AAV like a Studor Vent
Then a p-trap, with standpipe.
The hose would go into the top part of the standpipe."

Hey Terry I have heard that Studor Vents dont work well with washing machines, is that true?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've heard that Studer Vents don't work well on "pump basins" or on pipes without a open to the roof vent.
I was assuming that the pipe was connecting to other parts of the home, with a vent through the roof.
If that's not the case, then the studor isn't going to work.
At least part of the plumbing system has to be done right for a studor to work.

3114.7 Vent required.

Within each plumbing system, a minimum of one stack vent or vent stack shall extend outdoors to the open air.

E.8.2.3
Air admittance valves shall not be permitted in the following applications:
a. vents for special waste drainage systems (Sections 9.4.1 and 9.4.2)
b. vents for sewage pump ejector pump sites
c. vents for pneumatic sewage ejectors
d. suds pressure zone venting
e. relief vents required by Section E.8.3.1

Most plumbers, if they had their way, would always vent through the roof.

From the Canadian Code book
2.5.9.2 Air Admittance Valves
1) Air admittance valves shall only be used to vent
a) fixtures located in island counters,
b) fixtures that may be affected by frost closure of the vent due to local climatic conditions,
c) fixtures in one-and two-family dwellings undergoing renovation, or
d) installations where connection to a vent may not be practical.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In your case I believe the only proper way to connect will be to drain to an ejector pump or a separate greywater basin. Here the code is clear in the the standpipe for the washer must be between 18 and 36" in length and cannot terminate higher than 48" above the floor. The trap will also require a proper vent.

This type of job will require a permit and inspection by your build dept. What exceptions they might make is up to them.

Last edited:

Zimzimma

Reaction score
Ok, I get what all you guys are saying that this is done totally incorrect. But, with the sealed connection, is a trap needed? Is it possible for sewer gases to enter through the washer some how?

And there is no way possible to vent this to the roof...So is venting out the side of the house permissible?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
And there is no way possible to vent this to the roof...So is venting out the side of the house permissible?

Of course it is, venting is done through roofs in every home. It's just a matter of how the vent is tied with correlation to the trap and stand pipe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I understand and appreciate the fact that you want to do this yourself. I'm sure the economic situation we are all facing makes it necessary that we cut expenses wherever we can. However, for a novice to try to correct the multitude of problems you have, and the highly non-typical installation you are dealing with, it is going to be virtually impossible to everything right without a professional on site. There are lots of ways to screw up, but just a few ways to get it right. You have much more than a minor "fix up" job facing you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks