Finish of freeze-proof hose bib

Users who are viewing this thread

dmc in nc

Reaction score
My subdivision is going in, and I've been watching the construction of my neighbors' homes. I noticed that the outside hose bibs are being mounted on rather unattractive blocks that protrude from the house siding.

As I understand it, the bibs are freeze-proof and need at least 6" horizontally from the outside wall to the inside. The block was put in because there are no interior walls that 'T' into the exterior, and I am on a slab (no crawlspace to jut into!).

Is there any clever way to forgo the block? I doubt I will be able to do anything differently from the rest of the homes unless it is very easy for the plumber (and I can catch him/her at the right time) or I do it after construction is complete.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The block is there becaue the plumbers are one step ahead of the siders.

The plumber is handed the block to put his frostfree faucet through, and then later the siders can match up to that.

In the long run, it can be a better looking job, than having the sider try to cut around an existing faucet that may or may not be the right distance out from the wall.

I wouldn't worry about freezing with the block either.
They only seem to freeze when the hose is left attached over the Winter.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks