View Full Version : Identifying control valves

01-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Rank amateur here!! Don't beat me up too bad, LOL. I've studied just enough to want t know how to identify what kind of control valve a unit has. The manufacturer's websites don't seem to say. I'm open to suggestions, but I've looked at the proverbial big box stores, so far. Whirlpool cabinet to be exact. I haven't found any dealers that will come to do a test eyt. It's 50 miles one way and 90 the other and I guess they have enough business!! So, I don't have any hardness numbers yet to punch into a calculator. From generalities of hardness, mostly all calcium, I'd say i'm looking at a 30K unit. One person, one bath.
thanks all !!

01-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Are you looking for a unit from a box store?
GE, Sears, Polar Star, Eco Res... All have the same valve with a little bit different wrap.
The units are made to last a few years and then be replaced.

01-21-2010, 05:56 AM
I doubt you will find anyone willing to drive 100 or 180 miles round trip to do a free water hardness test...I would charge you $2-400.00 to come out and do a test and talk to you about it..if you are not on a well you can call your water supplier and they will know the approx. hardness...

Gary Slusser
01-21-2010, 07:21 AM
If you have your own well, buy a home test kit at a hardware or big box store locally or order one online. You want a total hardness test kit, not just calcium. Hardness is made up of calcium and magnesium. You also want to test for iron and pH at least.

The only way to tell what control valve is to look at pictures of them on web sites (like mine) that tell you the brand name of the valve.