Need tub shower surround

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank G

Reaction score
Ill try to minimize this but I am trully confused at this point. Im looking for a tub surround. The problem is the tub (20 years old) must have been a reject. The two opposite corners are 3/4 higher then the others. That exsplains why the tile was cut in slivers to fit. The tile is gone and blue board cut and installed to fit the crooked tub. Now I am looking for a surround to put up. I realise I will have to cut the surround to fit the crooked tub and that is where my problen is. In a town of 250 K I can only find two surrounds that have no desighn that will not show the cut. Unfortunately they are about 1/8 inch thick. Internet searches may have shown what I need but e-mails have not been responsive and phone calls seem to be to sales people with no knoledge of what I am talking about. I just need a surround with no desighn that has some thickness to it so it does not look to cheap. My opologies for babaling but I'm just worn out on this one.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could put up a solid surface panel like Corian, Silestone, etc., but it is fairly costly. They do sell it in thinner panels for this use. If I was going to spend that much, I'd consider trashing the tub and starting over with one that wasn't warped.

I'd consider tiling it, but you put up the wrong stuff on the wall if this is a shower and you wanted to tile it.

Frank G

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your response. Unfortunately the tub stays. I fought that battle and lost. It's an inlaw thing. There in there 80,s and in my young 60's and tired if this whole thing. I have never tiled and even if I had went that route the problem would still exist. I would have had to cut the tile to match the tub and it would have looked bad.
Again thanks for your reply.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

NO good tileperson would EVER install tile in such a way that they wound up with a "sliver" at the tub. That would be my first clue that any problem with the old surround was because it was done by someone who was not experienced in tile work. You have to cut the surround, why would cutting tile be any more difficult? IN fact with tile you are cutting many small tiles and if you mess up, you can throw one away. You start the tile so you have at least half a tile, and preferably almost a full one at the tub and go up from there. IF you screw up cutting the plastic surround, you will have to either keep cutting it off, maybe until it is too short, or throw it away and start over.

Frank G

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have done an internet search and have seen this problem a couple times out there. The response was to make a cardboard template to match the crooked tub and then transfer that to the surround. I just can't find a decent looking surround that i can trim the bottom off to match the tub. At present it's a no win situation.
I do appreciate your reply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks