Shower master valve leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

pbroughton

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just installed an American Standard Shower Set, “Hamptonâ€, model 7221.712. I can not eliminate drip leaks at the point where the water service pipes mate with the “rough-in†valve. The parts in question are called “Ground Joint Inlet†(part # M962341-0070A) on the parts list, but called “Coupling Nut and Union Swivel†on the Installation Instructions. This connection is a mating of a beveled male copper fitting into a beveled bowl shape on the valve. The tightening of the coupling nut is apparently supposed to ‘force fit’ a mate point with the valve.

I have used proper sized wrenches/slip joint pliers to really tighten these two joints, but cannot eliminate a drip leak. The installation is square and plumb, and there are no obvious flaws in either mating surface.

Help! What can I do to fix this? Thanks very much in advance for your expertise.

pbroughton

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
You can try putting some thread dope on the male surface and try re-tightening. This has help me on many occassions

pbroughton

Reaction score
Shower valve leak

Thank you Krow, for that info.

Would the dope be the classic "pipe dope" or the teflon type thread sealant?

thanks,

pbroughton

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dope

Anything other than tape. I guess who ever you bought that valve from forgot to tell you they are "illegal" for use as a shower valve unless you also installed an anti scald pressure balancer in the piping to the valve.

Last edited:

pbroughton

Reaction score
Dopey Shower leak

Thanks for the added info, hj.

I bought this on my own, to replace a 35 year old American Standard shower set. This shower valve is somewhat similar to the old one, except now without the old style valve seat and rubber booted stem valve, etc. which parts have just been forbidden in California they tell me.

Of course, had no idea about your point with scalding, as nothing in our house has that technology, four sinks, one shower, one tub/shower combo, but our water heater is set to proper temp and announcements made, “Taking a shower; don’t start the washer!!â€

Back to my dopey question, I have only ever used teflon tape on threaded joints, so don’t know anything about what type of dope to get to help with this type of ‘compression’ friction fitting.

Could you please give me a lead on the correct type of dope, or a formulation/ ingredient that is likely to work for me? Thanks very much

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any pipe dope designed for potable water will work fine. They sell it in tubes and cans. The cans usually come with a brush in the cap, which makes spreading it easier but they are larger and cost more you may not need doing an occasional DIY'er job. Some brands include teflon, but that's not a big deal one way or the other. You can use both the tape and the dope. The combination (either one should work alone) is like belt and suspenders.

The quality of the threaded fittings and valves can be quite poor if the manufacturer uses a dull threading die or tap. Plus, the quality control on some suppliers is absolutely horrible so the belt and suspenders route gives you a little bit more margin.

pbroughton

Reaction score
Still Dopey

Thanks, jadnashua.

But to clarify, this is not a threaded joint, but a compression type fitting, maybe called a union (see above part number), where the coupling nut forces the brass to brass seal. But it doesn’t quite do it on this new valve set.

Not being a plumber, but I would venture that normally nothing would be added to this “joint†– except now I am ticked off and have a pretty expensive new shower set that is not satisfactory. And two very neat holes in the gypboard wall behind the shower. I am thinking of getting some nice plexiglass and frame the holes so I can watch the sloooooow drips.

Anyway still would like any recommendation of what dope/compound would be worth a try.

Regards to beautiful NH. Thanks

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
They make so many different types . HD may carry the small tubes so you are not wasting an entire tin. Not very expensive iether

Attachments

• 673073_front200.jpg
    673073_front200.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 397

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Try a thin coat of pipe dope on the mating surface...can't hurt. If it wasn't machined well, it is offset, you created a crease in the fitting from a prior install/remove cycle, or you don't have it tight enough, it can leak.

pbroughton

Reaction score
Shower Leak

Thanks for the suggestions. I will remake the joints tomorrow with your advice.

thanks very much.

pbroughton

Reaction score
Leaks fixed

Thanks everyone very much for the advice.

I borrowed some Rectorseal Tplus2 from my neighbor and buttered up the male bevel of each union. Perfect!!

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks