P-trap clearance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ang

Reaction score
:confused:

I just had our bathroom plumbed to add a sink in our master bath. The cabinet & countertop were installed. I have a question about how to make the plumbing work. On one side, the drain only has 4" below it before it reaches the cabinet. How can we make the p-trap work? Can we add something to give the inch or so we need to get the clearance needed?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

If you are describing it the way we are reading it, then the answer is no. The "P" trap cannot be elevated so you may have to cut an opening in the shelf or bottom for the "P" trap to hang into.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you recycling a piece of furniture into a vanity? It would be unusual for a "regular" vanity cabinet to have such low clearance. You will really have to modify the cabinet to accomodate a trap. Theoretically you could elbow right at the bottom of the sink, go back towards the wall and then insert a trap, but I don't think you will find fittings to do this. Ant this would always tend to be a slow-drainer.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
trap

See if you can turn the j-bend around. Use a non slip rubber washer on the tail-piece. The washer is like a big fat o-ring and if you try to pull the jam nut off with this washer on the tailpiece, it will take a lot of pull and then it might not slide off.
Keep the tailpiece as long as the space will allow.
It works well and you will not loose the water seal.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
trap

Tool
Thats a good question.
I took him to mean that his new pop-up assembly was set lower than the old one and that he need more room for the tailpiece............

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks