New To Forum / AAV Question

Users who are viewing this thread

rseate

Reaction score
We are doing some renovations to our kitchen and I had a question regarding the AAV under our kitchen sink.

In replacing the counter tops, we're going from a "surface" mount sink to an undermount sink.

There is what appears to be a verticle vent line in the knee wall behind the sink. There is then a "T" but on about a 45 deg. angle witha straight pipe coming out of it for about 6" with the AAV installed on the top end of that pip.

The new undermount sink sits way too low for the vent / AAV location. Can I cut the straight line that runs from the 45deg "T" to the AAV, install an elbow to have it run horizontal for about a foot and then install another elbow and return it to a vertical position?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
aav

Your question is puzzling, because that AAV appears to be right next to the back wall, and few sinks project back that far unless yours is assymetrical with the faucet space off to one side. A horizontal offset is seldom desirable because it can become clogged if the drain becomes obstructed.

rseate

Reaction score
Your question is puzzling, because that AAV appears to be right next to the back wall, and few sinks project back that far unless yours is assymetrical with the faucet space off to one side. A horizontal offset is seldom desirable because it can become clogged if the drain becomes obstructed.

I understand your response given the quality of the picture. The 'verticle" portion of pipe the AAV is mounted on actually projects out away from the back wall about 6 to 8 inches on about a 35 upward degree angle.

rseate

Reaction score
Your question is puzzling, because that AAV appears to be right next to the back wall, and few sinks project back that far unless yours is asymmetrical with the faucet space off to one side. A horizontal offset is seldom desirable because it can become clogged if the drain becomes obstructed.

Hopefully this photo shows the problem more clearly. If you can't run the vent line horizontally, can I elbow 90 degrees toward the left tight against the back wall and then elbow it up on the same angle it is now(toward the gray water supply line in picture behind the AAV)

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
aav

cut the pipe off close to the cabinet. Install a street 45 elbow, and then a 22 1/2" elbow. DO NOT glue the elbows to the pipe or to each other until you dry fit them together and rotate them until the "vertical piece" is actually vertical. Then mark them so you will be able to assemble them exactly the same way. Then take them apart, glue the two elbows together, and then glue the 45 to the pipe making sure the piece is still vertical and straight. Then install the AAV on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks