Caulking tub surround

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie02

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to add more caulking to new caulking that has dried? We had to recaulk our surround (ceraminc tile) as the silicone caulking had separated from the tub. It's been 4 days and the caulking is too thin in a few areas. Is it possible to just add more or do I need to remove it and start over again? we are using DAP Tub & Tile adhesive caulking.
thanks! :)

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I wouldn't use any latex Chaulking. They tend to promote mould growth. Use a true silicone product (smells like vinigear)

You really should remove the dry silicone and start from scratch. Clean and dry all surfaces before siliconing.
Keep in mind , silicone has a maximum life expectency of 2 years

Groutman

Tile it Grout it Caulk it
Reaction score
Website
www.precisiongrout.com
Krow cop is exactly correct. Hello, for what it is worth here is my take. I do allot of recaulking and the first thing I do is to make sure what I am caulking is completely prepped clean and free of any old caulk or foreign matter. I like to use denatured alcohol to break the old caulk down and for ease of removal. When I open my caulk I keep the opening as small as possible, it makes it allot easier to control where the caulk goes. You should do all of your narrow work and if you have any large gaps do them last and open the caulk tube tip accordingly. Finally when cleaning caulk be sure not to break the bond between the caulk and tile. The edge of the caulk is thin and the adhesion is easily compromised with excessive pressure or abrasion. If this happens the caulk will trap and hold moisture that will initiate mold and mildew growth. You can see some of my handy work at Precision Grout & Caulk if you have a question email me and I will do my best to answer it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks