Rest boiler via internet

Users who are viewing this thread

SimonJester753

Reaction score
My friend has an oil burner in a hot water heat system. From time to time the system does not turn on when it should. It's been checked by the oil burner company. They find nothing.

Since it's a weekend home, she worries that the pipes will freeze. She's got a heat alarm that turns a red light on and her neighbor calls her if it goes on IF SHE NOTICES IT.

All that has to be done to get the heat going is to push the red button on the controller on the burner. She can ask the neighbor to do it, or call a local handyman to go over, if she's aware that the heat is off.

She'd like to set up an automated system that will notify her when the heat goes too low and then enable her to actuate the switch on the controller via the internet or phone.

I believe there are temperature sensors that can send alerts over the internet. What we need to find is a switch that can respond to a command over the internet or phone and activate the controller on the oil burner. Any suggestions?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I'm sure there are various notification devices out there that can let her know if the temperature drops, as opposed to having to rely on the neighbor.

Now for hitting the red button, I'm gonna say no. That is a reset and usually flips when an error or fault condition occurs, thus requiring manual intervention.

I would be hesitant to push that button without being onsite. If you keep hitting that reset button and the burner isn't firing you can flood the combustion chamber with oil. Then when the burner does ignite, the pipes freezing will be the least of her concerns!

Keeping the burner serviced, nozzle cleaned, filter changed and oil in the tank should keep everything running smoothly. It does happen when the reset needs to be pressed, but that should not be a normal occurance.

SimonJester753

Reaction score
The burner has been serviced and checked at the start of the season. It's not a normal occurance, once or twice a season. But when it happens late Sunday night and nobody notices till Thursday or Friday...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks