Hot water to toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Russel Ray

Reaction score
Is there any code anywhere (California, National, International) that prohibits plumbing a toilet with hot water? I'm only interested in if the codes address it. I've already discussed possible problems (cracking porcelain, waste of hot water, inefficient, etc.). The toilet in question is a Kohler low-flow (1.6 gpf) in a building built in 2002/2003. Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am not aware of any code which would prohibit this. In some areas it is very common to have WARM water delivered to the toilet via a tempering valve. Is the reason you want the hot water for a bidet sprayer type of device?

Russel Ray

Reaction score
It's a Kohler toilet. A Kohler representative said that there should be no problem with plumbing their toilets with hot water. In fact, he said that many people in Alaska and some other Northern states and countries regularly plumb with hot water. He also said that "Our toilets wouldn't know the difference between cold water and hot water" but did mention that any water in the tank will immediately start to cool, so there might be a waste of energy in Southern states.

I couldn't find any codes to deal with it either. The only code I found was one that said that bidets shall be plumbed with warmer water.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
hot

Use a good tempering valve.
Feels good on the toush if you have a cool bathroom and are in cool climates......

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
I like cold water only in my toilet... hot sounds like a big smelly bacteriated steambath of a throne! I used to live in -40 and never dreamt of a hot steamy toilet... lol...

Last edited:

calarco

Reaction score
Hot seat

When I was a bachlor we made a hot seat. the girls loved it in the winter time. No problem with anything except extra mold in the bathroom.
Go for it...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks