Toto Guinevere and dripping

Users who are viewing this thread

ryanrk

Reaction score
So I bought a Toto Guinevere about 6+ months back from Terry Love's Plumbing and installed it myself. After you flush the toilet you can hear it drip and drip and drip. It seems to drip until the bowl is about half empty maybe more. It doesn't always do this, probably does it 80% of the time. The toilet doesn't run to fill the bowl up or anything so i'm not wasting water. I checked to make sure the toilet was level and such and it seems to be. I'm not sure why it's doing this? Any ideas? :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the bowl loses water "sometimes" but not others, you may want to check that there is no dental floss in the bowl "wicking" water out.

Dental floss should always go in the basket.

ryanrk

Reaction score
My wife and I don't flush floss in the toilet so I wouldn't it would be that. I'm starting to think it may happen all the time but sometimes it seems to drain faster then other times.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When the bowl fills, you will hear some dripping until the trapway finishes wicking water out, normally about a minute.

Or, if the flapper is leaking, you can be losing water from the tank.

Or if the fill valve does not shut off, you can have water going into the bowl.

If the bowl suddenly loses water, it could be from a toilet nearby that has been flushed.

If the bowl loses water while sitting, and no other plumbing has been used, there could be a crack, but if sometimes it holds water, then it would seem to rule that out.

ryanrk

Reaction score
When the bowl fills, you will hear some dripping until the trapway finishes wicking water out, normally about a minute.
I can hear this happening after a minute of flushing the toilet. I generally lay in bed and can hear it during the night. Sometimes it puts me to sleep.

Or, if the flapper is leaking, you can be losing water from the tank.
I believe if i was losing water from the tank i would hear the tank run occasionally? Also wouldn't the bowl stay full? The bowl is 1/2 full generally and i never hear the toilet run.

Or if the fill valve does not shut off, you can have water going into the bowl.
Wouldn't I hear the toilet run if this was happening?

If the bowl suddenly loses water, it could be from a toilet nearby that has been flushed.
The bowl doesn't suddenly lose water, it just slowly loses water and you can hear the water drip drip drip.

If the bowl loses water while sitting, and no other plumbing has been used, there could be a crack, but if sometimes it holds water, then it would seem to rule that out.
I'm starting to question myself about it sometimes holding water. This could be a timing issue. I'm going to test this theory in the next few days. I think the reason I think it's holding water now is that it hasn't been sitting long enough to drain down to the equilibrium point or the point where it stops.

If it's crack is this something that can be fixed?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would turn off water to the toilet, and use a bucket to slowly fill the bowl.

Do not flush any other toilets, and then see what happens.

ryanrk

Reaction score
So I was gone for 2 days and during that time I shut off the water to the toilet and flushed it to get the water out of the tank. I filled the bowl up and when I can back (2 days later) it was still full. Now i'm baffled. My wife does flush hair down the toilet maybe that might do the same thing as floss? I ask her to quit.

SAS

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a Drake several years ago. Here's the email I sent to Toto:

I have just installed my second Drake toilet. The first one went fine, so I ordered a second. This one has been more problematic. Everything is installed and seems to work fine, except that I hear an intermittent dripping noise from the bottom of the toilet. It sounds as if a drop of water every minute or so is dripping into the waste line. The noise occurs even if the top tank is empty and the water turned off, so I know that it isn't coming from the flapper - plus you can here that it's coming from the bottom.

Any suggestions? What, if anything, would cause water to drip from the bottom? There's no evidence that it's dripping onto the floor - in fact it sounds very much like it's dripping into a pipe.

And here's their response:

The water dripping is from the bowl into the drain pipe. The fill valve is supplying a bit too much water to the bowl during the filling cycle.

We have a water flow restrictor that is easy to install and will fix the dripping noise. Provide your address and i'll send it, no charge.

Sincerely,
Raul Dam
Tech. Support Engineer
TOTO USA INC.
7700 Spence Rd.
Fairburn, GA 30213
P: 888-295-8134 x1316
F: 678-466-1315

I installed the flow restrictor (a one minute job) and it has been fine ever since.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks