how to remove a blind cast iron plug from stub-in??

Users who are viewing this thread

firsttimer

Reaction score
ugh... how in the heck do you remove the cap on a toilet stub-in??? it appears to be a cast iron plug thats been pounded into the center of a gasket sitting in the waste pipe (blind plug). i've tried tugging on the rubber gasket for better part of an hour now, and i don't think the thing is moving at all.... should i be spraying wd-40 down around the plug joint to the gasket? i'm about the pull out the sawz-all and call it good. Please help before i do something drastic!!!

TheZster

Reaction score
Whoa there... have a beer and relax.... I don't have a clue personally - but know that someone on this forum "will" find you and offer professional advice..... Thank God for PVC and Copper......

firsttimer

Reaction score
the solution

just an FYI for those that may come across this same issue. I did manage to get the plug off, thanks to DH. basically, he performed the same procedure as I did (pulling and pounding the crap out of the rubber gasket and plug, only with slightly more power than I). After about a half hour, he came up looking rather put out and said it was off. I went down to verify, and sure enough, there was the rubber gasket in approximately 100 pieces and the plug was sitting on the floor. let me just say, those things SUCK! better luck to the rest of you and know that it does eventually come off (minus the use of a sawz-all)

now on to my ceramic tiling adventure. i'm sure i'll be back when i get to setting toilet/vanity... CIAO!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks