Venting a toilet next to bearing beams

Users who are viewing this thread

lanthoma

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm remodeling a bathroom where none of the current plumbing is vented. The problem is that the 2x4 wall behind the toilet sits on a load bearing beam (picture attached). From below the subfloor, I can't get a vent pipe into this wall without cutting and probably compromising the beam. I thought the professionals come across this problem often enough and might have some suggestions.

-Lance

Attachments

• bathroom toilet.jpg
    bathroom toilet.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,445

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If we cant go through a beam, we find another location.

Nobody wants to mess with an engineered beam.
They might ask us to replace it.

Lightwave

Reaction score
Easiest way to handle this would be to thicken the bottom few feet of the bathroom wall and run the vent line around the beam.

lanthoma

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
The walls of my bathroom sit directly above beams on two sides, rim joists on the exterior wall, and a double joist on the interior (pic attached). So to get a vent pipe into any wall (or the lav drain down) would require moving joists or cutting into beams. What about running a vent pipe inside the wall to the lav, exit the wall (inside a vanity) and go through the subfloor next to the beam then run below the joists over to the toilet drain. Is this a suitable vent for the toilet? Is it termed 'wet venting the toilet'?

Attachments

• Toilet vent.001.jpg
    Toilet vent.001.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,928

lanthoma

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I guess that's what I'll do then. I always thought pipes coming up through the floor rather than the wall looked amateurish, but I guess it's the thing to do in some situations.

AAnderson

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the toe kick is high enough, you can come up through the kick space, break around the beam and bottom plate altogether. Same with the waste from the lav and combine the vents in a common 2" above flood rim level above the lav sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks