So you've installed all new copper pipe, then what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave Treen

Reaction score
I'm replacing all of the iron plumbing in my house with copper. Granted, each soldered joint gets wiped down to prevent corrosion, but what about the inside of the system? I've been applying (lead-free) flux to all the joints, but it's hard to ignore the label on the can that says "POISON". Further, I've noticed that solder (lead-free) has puddled inside some of the joints. Should the new plumbing be flushed with something before being put into use? Thanks!

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
It's always a good idea to flush the system after it's been freshly installed. The solder inside is fine, it'll look like a tiny rim sealing the joint, rather than how it looks on the outside. The flux better be lead free! lol... just give it a good flush and you'll be good to go.

Clockman

Reaction score
Dave Treen said:
I'm replacing all of the iron plumbing in my house with copper. Granted, each soldered joint gets wiped down to prevent corrosion, but what about the inside of the system? I've been applying (lead-free) flux to all the joints, but it's hard to ignore the label on the can that says "POISON". Further, I've noticed that solder (lead-free) has puddled inside some of the joints. Should the new plumbing be flushed with something before being put into use? Thanks!
As Kristi mentioned, simply turn on the water, but take the aerator of the faucets first. :)
Al

Clockman

Reaction score
hj said:
A lot of things are "poison". If you made the joints properly with the correct amount of heat the flux would have "burned" off in the process.
Not to mention that inside the fitting cup you can't fit a whole lot of paste, so when the solder replaces it through it's capilary action, there isn't much left to worry about. Did I just say not to mention that? :rolleyes: :) *Most* of the paste comes to the outside. ;)
Al

Dave Treen

Reaction score
Then I'm on Course!

Thank you all for your replies!

On the surface they did seem like dumb questions, but most of the materials I read made no mention of what to do after the system's hooked up.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not dumb questions at all! I have wondered about this myself. I guess modern fluxes are water soluble, so should be able to be flushed from newly-soldered pipes, but I've never heard a specific recommendation of how much flushing is required. I've certainly been able to smell the familiar scent of flux in the water I've flushed after a repair job, but seems to dissipate quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks