Laundry drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

jdmkolbi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just moved into my 1980 house 2 weeks ago. I hooked up my laundry machine and noticed there was a small puddle of water after the first load. I needed to get laundry done so I did a few loads and it became a decent puddle on my basement floor, now today I havent done laundry in 3 days and elevate the machine on blocks to see if I could find a leak underneath. I couldnt see any, but at the end of my first load, which was on super size setting (small, medium, large, and super) water started gushing back out of the drainpipe as the washer drained. I mean it was pouring and basically a whole washing machine of water ended up on my floor. After reading up a bit on this I figured it was because of the newer machine, the load being ran on super size for the first time, and it not being able to drain as fast as it pumped. Now I put in a small sized load in to try to stop the drain overflow. it still overflowed at the end, and then i flushed my toilet upstairs and i could hear more water come gushing out when I flushed it. I went and looked down the pipe and it was to the top with water, the water level sort of pulsated up and down about an inch as the water slowly drained. Why is this happening and what should I do next? Thank you.

Jake

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Your Drains pugged or partially plugged.

You need to run a snake/drain machine into the drain to clear it (

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A clog is most likely, but what size is the drain? Modern washers require a 2" drain because they pump out the water much faster than the old ones. Used to be 1-1/2" was sufficient.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks