GPD per capita???

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Gpd

That "guess" is available from many sources. Do an Internet search. THe number you find will vary according to what the source's focus is, and whether they want it to be high or low.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have long term data for usage at my condo complex. It runs about 175 gallons per day per household. A household averages about 2 persons, but I don't have a firm number on that. Might be a little more than 2, but I know there are about 180 vehicles, and a few but not a lot of kiddies, in 104 units.

That does not include landscape water, which is a separate meter. It does include the washing machines in the houses, and the community laundry room, and whatever goes to pool fill

Reaction score
Something in the 70 gal/day per person range appears to be the average in the U.S. for indoor water use. http://www.drinktap.org/consumerdnn/Default.aspx?tabid=85 I've seen figures of about 100 gal/day from an Energy Star or EPA site before.

My local utility reported an average residential use of ~65 gal/day per person using their monthly average and applying the average household size. I got this from their default values for sewer they apply to new users. They use the average of Dec/Jan/Feb billing to estimate household sewer load throughout the year.

We are down to 25 gal/day per capita (HET toilets, low flow showerheads, Energy Star dishwasher, front loading washer.)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This made me laugh.

GPD per capita!!!!

I'm an economist so am used to working in GDP per capita. I thought you made a typo until I read on..

GDP per capita was $47,440 last year in the US.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I have been using 60 gals/person/day to size water softeners for 23 years and rarely (like 1/yr) does a customer tell me their softener is regenerating sooner than it is sized and programmed to; which would be due to them using more water than 60 GPD/person.
This implies that the high limit should be more like 60, and the average usage is then less than this.
Did you somehow have customers with small families? That didn't irrigate?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This implies that the high limit should be more like 60, and the average usage is then less than this.
Did you somehow have customers with small families? That didn't irrigate?

Most installations are such that softened water does not go to irrigation.

When I was on submarines, our evaporator unit was sized to provide 25 gallons per day per person. That was to include a very short shower, and water for dish washing and cooking. and one or two loads of clothes washing, generally every other week. And it was a front loader, very small water usage. Toilets flushed with salt water.

Reaction score
Most installations are such that softened water does not go to irrigation.
Yep. I don't have a water softener but the sprinker water tees before the house PRV.

When I was on submarines, our evaporator unit was sized to provide 25 gallons per day per person. That was to include a very short shower, and water for dish washing and cooking. and one or two loads of clothes washing, generally every other week. And it was a front loader, very small water usage. Toilets flushed with salt water.
And that's a pretty generous quantity in a fixed large group setting. With salt water flushing and more limited showering half that level of freshwater usage would be easily obtainable. With our HET's I estimate toilets at 35-40% of our daily water consumption.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks