Moving a water closet

Users who are viewing this thread

Red107

Reaction score
Hello,

I am remodeling an 8x10 bathroom and am moving the toilet about 6 feet away from the 3" stack where it was. I will have to tie in after the new long 90 abs sweep. This will leave me with too great a slope. I am thinking I will have to put a short extension below the closet flange, before the sweep towards the main, and then keep it at 1/4 " per foot until the Y. Am I correct, or is there a better way? Also, excuse my ignorance but how do you get a slope from a 90 degree fitting anyway? This probably makes no sense at all.

I would appreciate any advice,

Red

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello,

I am remodeling an 8x10 bathroom and am moving the toilet about 6 feet away from the 3" stack where it was. I will have to tie in after the new long 90 abs sweep. This will leave me with too great a slope. I am thinking I will have to put a short extension below the closet flange, before the sweep towards the main, and then keep it at 1/4 " per foot until the Y. Am I correct, or is there a better way? Also, excuse my ignorance but how do you get a slope from a 90 degree fitting anyway? This probably makes no sense at all.

I would appreciate any advice,

Red

Yes you should maintain 1/4" per foot on the drainage. Lengthening the piece out of the flange is the best way to do that!!

You get slope out of a 90* fitting by either gluing the pipe in a bit crooked or rotating the fitting a hair.

Red107

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, but I'm still a bit confused. Rotating a 90 still leaves it a 90 does it not? Please clarify, and thanks again.

Red

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
slope

Unless you are using screwed/threaded pipes for the drain, you can tilt the pipe in the fitting to get almost any slope you need. WE are not clear about what you are trying to do, and therefore do not know if you are even doing it correctly, because your "tying in after the new long sweep 90" could mean anything, especially a WRONG anything. WE would need a drawing or picture, to be sure.

Red107

Reaction score

This is the existing closet flange which will be replaced. The 2 inch line comes from the kitchen. The new flange will be 6' away above the kitchen line. I will have to reroute the 2inch line a bit further down the 3 inch main to allow for the new toilet line. Does that help?

Thanks

Attachments

• bathroom 013.jpg
    bathroom 013.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 419

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Not really. Which way is the toilet going to move? Are you planning to install a new fitting for it, or extend from the existing opening? How, or why, are you moving the sink line? On the surface, I am guessing what you have in mind may NOT be the proper way to do it.

Red107

Reaction score
I am going to cut the 3" stack above the base plate and convert it to ABS going down to a long sweep 90. The cast iron flange will be removed, and the 3" main will also be ABS. The new ABS closet flange is to be 6' towards the bottom of the picture. It will have to tie in where the 2 " does now, and I will connect the 2" a liitle farther down. BTW, that is just a cleanout going back below the cast iron flange. I hope that explains it, and again, I appreciate the help.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

I might do it differently. I might just repipe it so the tee could be a bit lower, then install the new pipe from the toilet going into an elbow and then into the tee. That would eliminate any revisions to the sink drain or main line. The cleanout down there was strictly cosmetic, to make someone feel good, because it would be completely useless for clearing the drain line. It should be in the riser pipe above the floor when a plumber could access it if necessary.

Red107

Reaction score
I'm not clear on what you mean by lowering the T? Do you mean the 3" santee the closet flange currently connects to? I am also replacing about 6 " of the 2 " cast iron with ABS, so I can do just about anything with it.
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Yes. When you remove the "Y", because it is not needed there, then with the proper revision a new tee will fit low enough so that it will have the proper slope to reach the new toilet location. In order to get the pipe as high as possible, use a 4x3 spigot closet bend for the toilet. You do NOT have to use the entire 4" spigot end. Cut it off as necessary to raise the pipe, and still have the flange at floor level.

Red107

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the help. On an unrelated note, and my last questions (I promise);
Are sharkbite fittings dependable enough to use under the house? I have a couple of tight spots that would be a bear to solder. i also forgot to deburr the 1/2" pipe on my last two solder joints. Am I doomed to redo them, or will they be alright?

Thanks again for providing this forum.

Red107

Reaction score
Hi,

I am finally ready to redo my drains and would like to know if my plan seems okay. This drawing (sorry) shows what will replace the cast iron posted earlier. I am basically lowering the existing Tee about 1.5" and tying in with a 3' elbow as shown. My concern is the 6 ft. distance, which then turns into the T, down to the 4" main and out. Will I have a problem with a low flow toilet making the turn ? That's why I'm using 3" ABS for the 6" run and the T.
I hope this make sense.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 379
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks