Is this ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

techer

Reaction score
Got a few questions for the experts. Is this following ok?

State is Pennsylvania. They are running new gas lines and in the process hit the sewer main sewer line in the street. The main sewer line I beleive is 8". The house lines that feed in is terra cotta pipe that is 4".

So they took the main line, put a fernco (I think) to connect it to 8" pvc, then used another fernco to go from 8" pvc to 4" pvc.

My questions are is that even code compliant?
Shouldn't it have to be 8" PVC the whole way like it was?
Aren't we just asking for the main line to get clogged where the 8" pvc line goes to 4" pvc via a fernco? Shouldn't they have to use a hard pvc reducer if they were even aloud to do the size change?

It goes back to the original main line via another fernco about 20' down. This line services probably atleast 50 houses above it, maybe twice that amount depending on how it runs.

Thanks for looking at this experts!

1.jpg

2.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You are right, they can not reduce a drain line for the reason you stated.

John

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pretty hard and fast rule. You can never legally reduce a drain regardless of the kind of fittings you use. Make 'em fix it.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Without talking about the reduction in the lines, that mess has a upward dip in it and the pipe is not layed flat in the ditch! :eek:

techer

Reaction score
it's the city main line for the whole stinkin street. freakin wonderful. why the he11 did they do that then. they covered it up, maybe they are going to dig it out again, could this be temp thing you think? or is this a hope we don't get caught. this is a backwards hick town, so maybe the borough is going to let em get by?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
it's the city main line for the whole stinkin street. freakin wonderful. why the he11 did they do that then. they covered it up, maybe they are going to dig it out again, could this be temp thing you think? or is this a hope we don't get caught. this is a backwards hick town, so maybe the borough is going to let em get by?

I don't think that they have any intention of changing that mess, I don't think they would have covered it up if it was temporary. You are going to have a constant problem with that hook-up.

Since you know where the problem is you have to get on someones azz and tell them to fix it! You should inform your neighbors about the potential prob., luck. :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks