Removing galvanized

Users who are viewing this thread

rjudd200

Reaction score
I'm removing 1.25" galvanized and wondered, prior to buying new hacksaw blades, what the best "unfreeze frozen joints" stuff is. WD 40 wasn't up to the job; Liquid Wrench now on my shopping list. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Bob

TheZster

Reaction score
A 12 inch pipe wrench (or larger) does wonders... You'll need two... one on the pipe and/or joint you're removing... and one on the pipe/joint you're removing it from...

rjudd200

Reaction score
thezster said:
A 12 inch pipe wrench (or larger) does wonders... You'll need two... one on the pipe and/or joint you're removing... and one on the pipe/joint you're removing it from...

Thanks thezster... Yup, my 18" pipe wrench wasn't big enough (or I wasn't strong enough, depending on how you look at it), and I was hoping not to have to go buy one of those monster pipe wrenches... I'll go to the saw before I do that, anyway.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Here's another trick, take a hammer and beat the coupling/elbow to death all the way around. Then try your 18's.

bob...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can also use a "cheater" on your pipe wrench. Take a piece of 3-4 foot pipe and slide on the wrench handle. That will give you lots of leverage. Bit awkward, but works if you have room.

TheZster

Reaction score
Gary's solution sounds like the best to me.... but remember - you really need two! If you don't hold the pipe/joint you're removing "from"... you could end up loosening a joint "upstream" that you didn't want to remove...

Leverage is power! find it - and use it!

rjudd200

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'll try a long pipe to help w/ leverage. I have plenty of work room on this, and it connects to a 90° elbow (but I will have to buy a length of pretty wide pipe to get it to fit over the big handle on the wrench...).

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
WD40 is a water displacement agent and not a penetrating oil. Liquid Wrench and the like is much better suited for this application.

Something else you might try is to heat up the fitting that the pipe you want to extract is screwed into. The heat will make the metal expand and you should be able to get the pipe to turn.

rjudd200

Reaction score
Just to follow up: pipe is out [hallelujah!]-- liquid wrench, whacked w/ hammer, and utilizing a 4' pipe together w/ my 18" wrench. Thanks for the tips folks!

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
i am also a welder

if it,s all getting trashed. a zip cutter disc in a worm drive grinder is super fast. BUT you have to know what you,re doing! weld gloves, and full face shield necessary,and watch for fires

Finnegan

Reaction score
Give it a shot with your pipe wrench and cheater pipe, but old galvanized it tough to work with. Do not feel bad about cutting your loses and the pipe and continuing with a rubber coupling. Also, your 1.25" might be 1.5" in pvc. Good luck.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Glad you got it out. Here's a tip for future jobs: Penetrating oil is not instant-acting. It can soak into a very tight joint like a pipe thread, but it takes time! Literally, I would soak it a few times a day and give it up to 48 hours to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks