Sediment in hot water lines with tankless heater

Users who are viewing this thread

ryguy

Reaction score
I have been having problems with sediment (looks like large pieces of sand and tiny rocks in varying colors of brown and black) accumulating in my faucet aerators and shower heads. I installed a whole house filter at the water main thinking that the water coming into the house was simply "dirty". Then I cleaned all the aerators in the house, and even decided to clean out the lines for my washing machine. That's when I realized the problem is with my hot water only, because the cold line to the washer was super clean but the hot water line was full of the sediment. It is so bad at this point that I am cleaning out aerators on a weekly basis, otherwise there is no pressure or hot water at the faucet or shower head. The washing machine keeps giving me an error code becaue the hot line is full again and no hot water is getting to it. I have an electric tankless water heater and I thought that there wasn't supposed to be any sediment with a tankless heater. My home is less than five years old and I live in Tucson, Arizona. The water has been tested and the hardness is less than 10. Anyone have any idea what is causing this problem?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be a defective anode rod, list the brand and model and you may get more replies.

ChuckS

Reaction score
What kind of tankless do you have? Anything other than the heater in the hot path? What kind of pipes?

ryguy

Reaction score
What kind of tankless do you have? Anything other than the heater in the hot path? What kind of pipes?

Nothing else in the path of the hot water, if you mean between the heater and the faucets/appliances. As for what type of pipe I have, it is Wirsbo AQUAPEX non metallic pipe.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I have been having problems with sediment (looks like large pieces of sand and tiny rocks in varying colors of brown and black) accumulating in my faucet aerators and shower heads. I installed a whole house filter at the water main thinking that the water coming into the house was simply "dirty". Then I cleaned all the aerators in the house, and even decided to clean out the lines for my washing machine. That's when I realized the problem is with my hot water only, because the cold line to the washer was super clean but the hot water line was full of the sediment. It is so bad at this point that I am cleaning out aerators on a weekly basis, otherwise there is no pressure or hot water at the faucet or shower head. The washing machine keeps giving me an error code becaue the hot line is full again and no hot water is getting to it. I have an electric tankless water heater and I thought that there wasn't supposed to be any sediment with a tankless heater. My home is less than five years old and I live in Tucson, Arizona. The water has been tested and the hardness is less than 10. Anyone have any idea what is causing this problem?
IMO it is little balls of hardness scale caused by hard water. You can test that by putting some of the stuff in a cap full of vinegar and seeing if it dissolves the stuff. If it does I'm right.

Buy a correctly sized water softener, which your tankless heater manual probably mentions if your hardness is over a few grains/gallon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks