Added water heater to the mix

Users who are viewing this thread

velcrobots

Reaction score
OK, so I have an oil-fired Weil McLain boiler for both baseboard heat and hot water. The coil was starting to go, and was very unpredictable, so we decided to add a gas hot water heater.

We just cut the in/out to the coil and re-routed to the new water heater. My question is this - what about the control mounted on the coil? Do we need to disconnect it?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
OK, so I have an oil-fired Weil McLain boiler for both baseboard heat and hot water. The coil was starting to go, and was very unpredictable, so we decided to add a gas hot water heater.

We just cut the in/out to the coil and re-routed to the new water heater. My question is this - what about the control mounted on the coil? Do we need to disconnect it?

You need to disconnect every thing that ties the two systems togeather....

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You no longer need to maintain boiler temperature so you should either turn the low limit all the way down or by-pass it.

velcrobots

Reaction score
I set the aquastat to HI 180 LO 160, diff set to 20. That should be good, no?

Attachments

• IMAG0231.jpg
    IMAG0231.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
when you have an in-boiler, domestic water heater coil, the boiler is always kepts between the set points so you have instant hot water capability. If you are no longer using that, unless you disable that portion, the boiler will stay hot all year thinking it is making your hot water. You don't want to pay for that. You might save money by making a new zone and using your boiler to heat an indirect WH rather than a totally separate gas WH. Essentially, you want your boiler to be able to shut itself off when it is not needed, rather than staying hot all year round. How easy that is to do will depend on what controls you have.
Essentually, you want the boiler to come on when there is a call for heating, and not maintain itself at the ready all year long.

velcrobots

Reaction score
I have honeywell control, not sure of the model number but it's in the image above. Is it just a matter of disconnecting some wires?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Its a Honneywell L8124. Turn the low limit down as far as it will go, leave the diff at 10

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks