American Standard Brands rebadging same toilet under different brands...

Users who are viewing this thread

MFfan310

Reaction score
First, it was GM rebadging Chevy SUVs as Buicks, GMCs, and even SAABs. Now, American Standard Brands is taking a page out of their playbook, rebadging the same toilet under different names.

The American Standard Cadet 3, sold at many a HD and L***'s and supply house

is the same as the Eljer Diplomat (Eljer is now sold exclusively at M*****s):
http://www.eljer.com/assets/documents/eljer/spec/SpecSheet_2565.pdf

Likewise, the new American Standard H2Option Siphonic Dual Flush

is the same as the Eljer Somerville Siphonic Dual Flush:
http://www.eljer.com/assets/documents/eljer/spec/SpecSheet_3100.pdf

And the Eljer Titan (yes, it is still being made... I saw fresh ones at M*****s, now made in Mexico instead of China like the old ones) now has twins:
The American Standard Titan Pro Right Height

and the Crane Titan Pro RelaxedHeight
http://www.craneplumbing.com/assets/documents/crane/spec/SpecSheet_2856.pdf

When will it end? :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
American Standard, Crane and Eljer have been bought out by Bain Investment Group.

They shut down the Eljer plant in the US.
Manufacturing is taking place elsewhere now.

Is Toto the only manufacturer making toilets in the USA?

MFfan310

Reaction score
Is Toto the only manufacturer making toilets in the USA?

Believe it or not, Kohler, the 800-pound gorilla of the US toilet market, still makes many models in the USA, namely the pressure-flush, commercial, Power Lite, and many Class Five/Six and Ingenium models. I toured the mother Kohler factory in Kohler, Wisconsin two months ago to see how toilets were made (it was a very unique experience), and they're still churning away toilets by the hundreds every day. Most of the Wisconsin production was mainly pressure-flush, high-end two-piece comfort height, and commercial flushometer models, but Kohler also still has US toilet factories in Brownwood, Texas and Spartanburg, South Carolina, specializing in the high-volume sellers sold at the big-box stores and to supply houses (Wellworth/Highline Class Five, Memoirs, Cimarron, and flushometer toilets, among others).

This isn't to say that Kohler doesn't import a lot of their toilets: Other Kohler models (some one-piece and dual-flush, along with many Class Five/Six bowls/tanks) are made in Monterrey and Reynosa, Mexico, while the rest of the non-NAFTA-region-made Kohler toilets come from Thailand (the former Karat Sanitaryware factories) or China (Foshan, Shanghai, or Nanjing). You can tell by the box where a Kohler product was made. If it just says "Kohler Co., Kohler, Wisconsin, 53044" with no manufacturing location, it was made in the USA. If it also says "Crafted in Mexico/Thailand/China", it was made elsewhere.

Mansfield also still makes a significant portion of its toilets in the USA, at factories in Ohio and Texas. At several stores, I've seen Mansfield Altos, Summit 3s, and Quantums display "Made in the U.S.A." on the box. Still, I wouldn't touch a Mansfield with a 39 1/2-foot plunger.

So no, Toto is not alone in selling toilets made in the USA by American workers. Whether I would actually buy some of those toilets is a different story, but it's good for people who are interested in keeping jobs in America (like me) to know.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rebranding

Are you just finding out about plumbing rebranding. Water heater manufacturers have been doing it for decades. You don't really think there were that many different heater manufacturers out there, did you?

Landon

Reaction score
Thanks, MFfan310, I was looking at home dep. for something made in usa, good luck, right? The Cimarron is there, but I thought it said Made in Mexico. I will check again.

- Landon

All of the Kohler Cimarrons I've seen were made in Mexico
I haven't seen a Kohler toilet marked as made in USA in years.
1/3 of my TOTO inventory is made in USA.
TL

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks