How tight is too tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

VTXdude

Reaction score
I recently had 2 toilets, Cadet 3's installed. The tanks were a bit wobbly so I decided to tighten them up a bit..I did so and now they lean forward ever so slightly but not that you can see with the eye.

I took a look inside the tank and noticed that when flushed the black gasket that is inside the hole that the flapper valve sits in is not uniform all the way around. Now I'm not talking about the outer part of the gasket that you can see when just looking down into the tank, only when you raise the flapper....in some spots it looks like it is sucked back behind the edge.

I'm assuming this may be because I firmed up the tank so it doesn't wobble....or this maybe it was always like this I don't know.

Just wondering am I at imminent danger of coming home to water all over my floor soon?

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Prior to setting the toilet on the flange with a wax ring, one should set the toilet in place without the ring. The base of the toilet should set firmly on the floor all the way around without rocking. If it does not, then shims are used to take out the rock. Then the toilet is lifted off, the wax ring put on the flange, and the toilet again placed in position but with the shims in place. Body weight is all that you should use to compress the wax ring. The flange bolts are not intended to pull the toilet down or to remove rocking. After the toilet base rests on the floor, the flange bolts are tighten to hold the toilet in place. Caulking around the base completes the installation.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That does make a difference alright. You need to alternate sides and tighten a little bit at a time. You may not get all of the play out of it, but that won't hurt.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

NOTHING happened because you tightened the tank bolts. The only thing that could have happened would have been a cracked tank if you tightened them too much.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The toilet tank should sit on the bowl flush and without any wobble. This is the way their designed. You can look under the tank to see how far away it is from sitting flush on the bowl and tighten down accordingly.

The thank *SHOULDN'T* crack from stress before it's already mating with the toilet properly. But it can happen if, like Gary said, you tighten one side too much at a time. You want to do as he suggested and tighten the tank down evenly until it's sitting flush on the bowl.

This should take the rock out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks