bath room plumbing problem

Users who are viewing this thread

willowglenlover

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN-is4CacVQ

we have a leaking faucet problem in our house.

Please take a look at the video and help us fixing the problem (as 2 plumbers already gave up on this challenge).

Description of problem:

Warm water faucet in sink is dropping/leaking every 30 seconds
when I turn on the warm water faucet of the adjacent bath tub the pipes underneath the house are banging very loudly and the faucet in the sink is now having running water despite that it is closed.

If I close the faucet of the sink via the shut of valve the banging stops.

Yeap, we thought about permanently closing the warm water supply to the sink but that shouldn't be the answer ;-)

thanks for your help

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You say 2 guys gave up? Did they do ANYTHING? This is not exactly rocket science.

I would first take apart the hot stem on the sink, and replace the washer, making sure the screw is snug. Inspect the seat, replace if it is a removable type.

Second step if necessary would be to repair or replace the stop valve under the sink.

The problem of dripping when the tub is turned on is simply related to changes in pressure as water flows in the pipes.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I bet they ran the hot line to the faucet then straight over to the shower so when you turn on your shower the pressure and flow are gonna go where they can which is out of your faucet, like Jimbo said look at the stem of the faucet and replace any worn washers etc. and take a look at the stop under the sink. The noise you're hearing is water leaking past worn out stuff in the stop and/or stem. I bet the noise will stop when you get it all fixed. 2 plumbers eh?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Ludwig. I do not care WHERE they ran the hot water from, if the faucet is turned off, water should not flow from it. That faucet should not be one, but the symptoms are what you would get from a "reverse acting" faucet which closes WITH the pressure as opposed to most which close against the pressure. With that type of faucet the line pressure is helping keep it closed, but a drop in pressure could cause it to "relax" and start dripping. Nothing else makes sense for you problem, but ANY good plumber should be able to diagnose it and repair the faucet in a matter of minutes.

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not a plumber but I noticed in the video the man turned the tub hot valve to the RIGHT to turn it on? That is opposite of most valves I'm familiar with....Clockwise is usually OFF not ON.....or am I missing something?

Pretty odd problem for sure but I agree no matter what the other fixtures valves are doing the sink faucet should not flow water if it's off. It's either closed and sealed to pressure or it isn't. Whats the highest pressure likely to be found in a residence? I have a well and it's 50lbs.......I assume some places might have too high a pressure at say 80 or more and need a PRV to reduce it.......

What about if his pressure was very high? Just a thought......

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I pickup a hint of a German or similar language accent ....The way "valve" is pronounced......Location says California....Maybe his name is Arnold !! LOL!! He will be back!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For most parts of the US, the style of the taps, and the subway tiles in the shower, would suggest a very old property. Haven't seen a spout like that. But the valves externally appear to be in very good shape. Can't add it up. He seemed to turn the stop CW off . The shower valve acted like a 1/4 turn, in which case it may be easy to mix up hot and cold stems or stops, at some point in the past.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Many valves, except those with the stem thread machined into the body can be "reversed" and often are when lever handles are involved. In fact with lever handles, the hot SHOULD rotate "backwards" or a heavy handle could cause it to turn on by itself. I have also had wall mounted lavatory faucets with lever handles that would stay shut when pressure was on them, but if it was lowered, the faucet would turn on, and stay on. In one case it happened when the owners were on vacation and the city turned the water main off, and then back on after the repairs. The sink ran for a couple of weeks. Since it was a vessel sink it could not drain the water fast enough. But none of this applies to the subject sink, since it has cross handles which do not have the same problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks