Will this layout work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Idoc4u

Reaction score
In the image you can see in the center of the double wye I have capped off the 3" and have used a 3X2 wye with the 2" coming off of the top which will run to and up my wall for venting the toilet and shower. The toilet is 10ft. from the lav vent not pictured to the left of the image.

Question: Will this venting technique work effectively, or should I not run up the middle, but place a 3X2 wye on the 3" from the toilet and vent that way? A 3" waste T will not allow me to rotate the fitting up far enough and still be able to pour a three inch slab over.

Second Question: can I put a 22deg elbow on the 3" line from the toilet? I need to move the toilet flange to the right in the image.

Thank you all and I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!......idoc

Attachments

• DWV.jpg
    DWV.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,133

Idoc4u

Reaction score
FLorange

Would placing a 3X2 on the right branch and then connecting a vent to the 2 inch side of the 3X2 meet this need?

Thanks again....idoc

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't like the double wye either but it is ok by the code. You can not have any part of the vent run horizontal until it is 6" above the flood level rim of the fixture served. In most cases that would be the lav.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I don't like the double wye either but it is ok by the code. You can not have any part of the vent run horizontal until it is 6" above the flood level rim of the fixture served. In most cases that would be the lav.

Peter Griffin: Just curious, what code are you refering to that lets you use a double wye on the horizontal with sanitary lines tied into it?. that being a no-no goes back to early days of plumbing codes; vertical only or in the vent system anyway you want to use it. :confused:

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
Double Santiary Wye is the only way by NPC to connect and successfully wet vent two WC. That's straight out of the code book actually.

WET VENTING
where 2 water closets are installedthey are connected at the same level by means of a double wye fitting if the vent pipe is horizontal.

Last edited:

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
Other than that cap setup at the end of your pipe (not sure where that falls) I don't see this not passing NPC here in Canada. A symmetrical fitting is premitted to serve a WC and BT on the horizontal. Where you come out of your WYE with you 2" wet vent I would be curious to see if an inspector would consider that a horizontal offset or not. IF he/she does, the only criteria there is that it goes vertical again within 2.5m (for 2").
That's the way I see this setup as acceptable.

I would like somebody else to let us all know what they think on the cap at the in of the line. Could you write it off as 'future connections' and have it pass. A future connection is permitted as long as it has a permanent cap.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
IPC will let you. and the cap at the end is not code, it constitutes a dead end.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Where's Doherty? He plumbs to the NPC, he should be able to weigh in on this one.:D

I plumb on the NPC of Canada... not sure about in New Jersey.

But in Canada the Double wye is perfectly acceptable. Except you aren't allowed to flex piping into position once it's glue so figure that one out lol.

And the termination is allowed as long as it's graded as not to retain water.

The vent would NOT be acceptable because the vent actually extends to the top of the double wye. And to do this the vent is flat for a few inches there and would be considered a flat dry vent.

attachment.jpg

If you are keen on this set up you would at minimum need a double wye fitting with a take out coming off the top (good luck finding one in pvc).
Then depending on your local codes you'd need to figure out the venting issue you'd have by tying in a vent and running horizontal below the flood level rim of the fixture(s) it serves.

The whole setup is a bit goofy. Bathroom groups are basically intended to be wet vented through the lav under plumbing codes. If you are not able to do this you're basically asking for trouble because you need to take your venting off a nominally vertical angle and this is VERY tough to do under the floor ;)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks