DWV Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Keydash

Reaction score
Hope the pic speaks for itself, except for the trap on it's side. The 2" tee is a vent. Is this setup correct? What angle should be used for the Tee/Wye?

Attachments

• IMG_2317 medium.jpg
    IMG_2317 medium.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 444

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If the vent is coming off at a nominally vertical angle and it's NOT a wet vent then using a sanitary tee is just fine.

Also if your application allows it you can ditch the vent AFTER the toilet and wet vent the toilet through the sink line.

If that wye AFTER the toilet is picking up more waste then that line would need to be separately vented as you're not allowed to wet vent past a toilet.

Keydash

Reaction score
I had thought that the shower vent also served as a vent for the toilet. The wye after the toilet is for the bath sink.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I guess you need to figure out what code you're under because different codes require different things. I'm not sure what code Oklahoma uses. You can use the lav waste as the wet vent for the toilet but you need to tie the lav waste (vent for toilet) centerline or above the 3" main and then tie in the shower waste and vent downstream of the toilet and wet vent. As for the vent for the shower, the code I'm under says you can't use a Santee on it's back under the flood level rim of the fixture.

Last edited:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I am pretty sure no code will allow you to use santees (even long bend ones) on their side like you are attempting to do. Your vent for the shower trap looks fine, but whatever you are trying to do before the toilet needs to be vented separately as well. I like that you are adding the cleanout.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am pretty sure no code will allow you to use santees (even long bend ones) on their side like you are attempting to do. Your vent for the shower trap looks fine, but whatever you are trying to do before the toilet needs to be vented separately as well. I like that you are adding the cleanout.

This is Canadian code but...

2.2.4.2 Sanitary T Fittings

1. A single or double sanitary T fitting shall not be used in a nominally horizontal soil-or-waste pipe, except a single sanitary T may be used to connect a vent pipe.

And no he is more then able to wet vent the toilet through the shower like he is (as long as the connection DOWNSTREAM of the toilet is separately vented). This would be 100% acceptable in Canadian code anyway and I find our codes are not much different on things like this.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
And no he is more then able to wet vent the toilet through the shower like he is (as long as the connection DOWNSTREAM of the toilet is separately vented). This would be 100% acceptable in Canadian code anyway and I find our codes are not much different on things like this.

This would be correct here and unless I'm missing something it would be correct with IPC also.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Doherty is correct. Often misunderstood. A san tee can be used in the horizontal position for vertical venting below the flood level rim provided it does not receive the waste from any fixture above.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
venting

The order of the various connections is immaterial since they are all active drains. As such, they can also enter the main line on a plane with the centerline, they do not have to "rolled" up. Rolling the vents up only applies to "dry vents" which can accumulate material with no water flow through them to wash them out.

Keydash

Reaction score
Thank you all for taking your time to take the confusion out...Looks like I will be getting dirty this week end.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
Well keydash,
it looks like you've got your work cut out for you. Lots of different views from lots of different codes. It's best to find out what code your under and follow those guidelines. Good luck!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
codes

YOU only think they are "goofy" because you must not like them. The users of the IPC thought the same thing about the UPC when they rejected the agreed upon merged code. They did not like the idea of having to give up some of their cherished, "not goofy" (to them), traditions.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I only think they're goofy because I was not trained on the IPC or the other codes just like I'm sure some of the code requirements by the UPC sound very strict to people in the IPC. The IPC is alot more forgiving when it comes to wet vents and vertical offsets in trap arms which I've never seen, let alone been allowed to do. The UPC doesn't allow 2 traps on 1 trap arm. The picture that shows the shower, shower trap arm and vent upstream of the toilet, toilet trap arm and wet vent would not be allowed. The shower would have to tie in downstream of the toilet trap arm after the vent. The UPC also considers a wet vent to be a vent and therefore needs to tie in above centerline of the toilet trap arm. As for santees, below the flood level rim they are considered the same as 1/4 bends and need to be installed the same as any drainage fitting, so they'd never be allowed on their backs or horizontal to horizontal. The only reason the IPC and UPC haven't merged is simply the cost to people who have to learn a new code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks