Vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

Idoc4u

Reaction score
I posted this pic before, but forgot to ask the following:

I will be removing the toilet flange and drain in the center of the image and moving it to the right branch where none exists currently.

If I put a 3" double wye coming off of the 3" you see in the bottom of the image and branch off to the left with a reducer to the shower trap and branch off to the right going to the toilet flange, my question is: from the 3" double wye that will be at the bottom of the screen, down the center, can I connect a 3"X2" wye or reduce down to a 2" waste-T and angle the 2" inlet up, connect a 45 or 90 elbow and run that up the wall as my vent?

So "up the middle" it would look like 3" double wye to 3"X2" wye with the 2" side up to vent and then I would plug the other side of the wye. The vent piping would replace the location of the current toilet flange, so to speak.

Would this be a legitimate vent or would this vent be broken?

I ask because this would save me from having to cut more concrete in order to accommodate a vent coming off of the right side for the toilet.

Thank you..........idoc

drain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I know it was my suggestion, but you really should use 2 individual wyes instead of a double wye, or as Terry stated, you wont be able to turn them up to grade the drain...

Idoc4u

Reaction score
please explain

dlarrivee,

I'm not clear as to where you mean I should attach the individual wyes?

Thanks...........idoc

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

quote; you won't be able to turn them up to grade the drain...

That would be partially true if he were working with threaded fittings, (and even then we compensated by cutting "crooked threads"). But PVC and ABS hubs have so much leeway that there is absolutely no problem flexing the joint, before it hardens, to provide any necessary pitch.
progress.gif

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
quote; you won't be able to turn them up to grade the drain...

That would be partially true if he were working with threaded fittings, (and even then we compensated by cutting "crooked threads"). But PVC and ABS hubs have so much leeway that there is absolutely no problem flexing the joint, before it hardens, to provide any necessary pitch.
progress.gif

I was just repeating what Terry had said in the other thread.

It was my original suggestion to use a double wye and use the straight through as a cleanout as well.

Fewer fittings is probably better.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
progress.gif

I 100% agree....

My guess is something like this;

Where is the vent for this system? Is it wet vented through the bathroom lav?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks