PDA

View Full Version : Fluidmaster Toilet Bowl Cleaning System in Toto Dalton?

DaveT
11-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Can the Fluidmaster 8300P8 Flush 'N' Sparkle Toilet Bowl Cleaning System be used in Toto toilets?

I have 3 Toto's in my recently purchased house [not sure of the model], and just as in my previous house where I installed a Toto Dalton, they flush beautifully but bowl wash terribly. I am constantly cleaning the bowl sides, and very quickly get black build-up along the water line.

I realize that the Toto fill valves in my toilets don't utilize the refill tube and the outlet is blocked. I believe that the Fluidmaster System connects to the refill outlet. Can I drill out the plastic seal on the outlet and use the Fluidmaster System to - hopefully - improve the bowl situation?

Thanks.

Terry
11-23-2009, 09:15 AM
You will need to replace the fill valve on the Dalton.

DaveT
02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I decided that I had nothing to lose by attempting to modify the standard Toto Fill Valve for the Fluidmaster cleaning system. At worst, I would have to replace the Fill Valve anyway.

I used a drill bit the size of the refill fitting ID [don't recall what it was offhand] and turned it by hand a few times in the hole to "mark" the center of the hole into the plastic sealing the refill outlet. I then used a 3/32" bit and carefully drilled through that plastic seal. I chose that size somewhat arbitrarily, thinking 1/16" was a very small and flimsy bit, and that I could go up from 3/32" if required. I then installed the Fluidmaster as directed.

It works just fine! And using the bleach version of the Fluidmaster does reduce the amount of sidewall cleaning that I have to do. The literature says it has a chemical that improves the "wetting" of the surface so that the water spreads better. And the bleach tends to keep the black build-up from growing. I'll observe it to determine if I have to enlarge the hole to get more flow.

I think it was worth doing.

juror58
02-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Dave -

I don't know what the Toto flapper valve seals are made of, but on ordinary flapper valves bleach will tend to eat up the seats and eventually they will leak. I gave up on in-tank cleaners containing bleach years ago, and no more leaking flappers. (And since my Toto has a 3" flapper, replacing it requires more than a trip down to HD.)

maddog
02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
That's the nice thing about this Fluidmaster Flush 'N' Sparkle thing. It releases the chlorine down the over-flow pipe directly into the bowl. No chlorine is released into the tank...