Shower screeching noise after diverter is lifted.

Users who are viewing this thread

quinndesign

Reaction score
I have a Delta single-handle shower that is making a loud screeching noise shortly after lifting the diverter. Typically the noise begins a minute or two after lifting the diverter and persists for the duration of the shower. The noise can be lessened by slightly lowering the diverter, or even just jiggling the diverter.

None of the other faucets in the house make any noise. It seems to be unique to the shower and only occurs when using the shower not when using the tub.

This is a fairly recent problem and it occurred out of the blue.

Any suggestions?

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you isolated the source of the screeching to the diverter.
I would suggest replacing the bathtub diverter, whether it's a diverter spout or diverter valve built into the valve body.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing after it got older. The cheap rubber washer in the tub divertors gets a little hard after awhile and no longer makes a good contact/seal. It vibrates. That washer may be replaceable. It may be easier to replace the spout. Not a pro...

quinndesign

Reaction score
New diverter did the trick

on your advice I replaced the diverter and presto! no more sqweal. Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks