PP 12H-2H/C Stems - Upgradeable?

Users who are viewing this thread

carinab

Reaction score
So what I have appears to be the price pfister bradford model with the 12H-2 stem (910-374) and the Windsor acrylic (940-740A) handles in our 2 handle shower. We also have the roman tub deck faucet/handles that matches. I'd like to update/remodel. I've gone to my local Ace/Lowes/Home***** and have gotten a plethora of wrong answers.

Ultimately, I have found chrome PP flanges that fit/work for both the shower and tub. Now what I need are different handles and a chrome faucet to update. Is this not possible? Does every model (Contempra vs. Windsor vs. Bradford) each have a unique stem? When I ask what handles will fit the 12H-2H/C stem, I get blank stares. :confused: My research on the web has not been much better.

Looking at the PP website, they think that I have a 07-31XA valve body for the shower. Course the caveat is that the whole set up is likely older then the 1997 date on the pdf file. We definitely don't have ceramic disks. Don't know about the tub as the pdf link is broken. Could I replace the stems and then select a different handle? Is the valve body more generic than the stems I hope...In other words, would there be more stems available for a valve body then there are handles for a stem?

Pardon my ignorance....I'm sure you all hate when the newbies ask the question "Why can't I put a Corvette fuel injector in my 82' Blazer?" Actually I'm just trying to understand how all the bits/pieces relate.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
12H-2H/C is the DANCO part number for the stems that fit PP Verve (metal handles) and Windsor ( acrylic handles.)

12 is a size reference, and H is the broach(spline) designation. Any Danco handle with an H would fit the broach, although may not fit in other respects. The final H/C of course means used for both hot and cold.
Now, faucets are like cars. You generally can't put Ford parts in a Chevvy. Your options to upgrade an old shower are limited. But because this was one of the most widely used models( I must personally have repaired a couple of hundred of these shower), at least in the west, you do have some possibilities. At the box stores, you would probably find a set, either by PP or DANCO, to replace your handles with a chrome/porcelain set in both a lever and a cross style. By necessity, these sets will include new stems. Over a period of probaly at least 30 years, PP did not change the business end of the 2 and 3 handle shower, but changed the design and length of the outside part of the stem. This was done as handle style changes were introduced.

For even further options, you can remove the seats from your valve body, and install new ceramic disc stems. This opens up all the handle shapes and finishes which PP currently offers.

So, you options are not limitless, but with this particular shower you do have much more available to you than if it was an older model of another brand.

Again, to summarize, the key thing is the flange trim and handles are keyed to certain stems, so you will need to select a package of matching parts. At the HD ask to see the "Your Other Warehouse" catalog. Lowes probably has something similar. The guy at a good plumbing supplier will be more knowledgeable about selecting the right stuff than most of the folks at the box.

Last edited:

carinab

Reaction score
You da' man!

Wow - Thanks for the great reply. Based on the info you gave me, I think I have managed to track down all the valve body types that I collectively own.

Just for reference for other poor slobs like me who have spent an eternity googling part numbers, I'm putting everything in one post - the whole series looks to be Price Pfister Bedford all with 910-374 stems and Windsor 940-740A handles.

The roman tub info is sketchy but I think it is either a 0X6-040R or 0X6-140R valve body used for model RT6-238P. One is fixed and the other is not - that much I could find. However, is there a way to tell the difference without creating an access panel? Is the fixed one a specific length and hence I could measure the handle spacing?

The master bath shower (model 07-118) as I said is probably the seat version of the 07-31XA valve body. Again, is there a way to tell exactly? Any idea what the old valve body model number is? Is it 07-310A? Does the XA signify ceramic disk?

And lastly, the hall bath has model 01-119 with the 01-310A valve body (99% certain on this one) which PP says is now obsolete....replaced by 01-31XA.

Given that PP says one of these valve bodies is obsolete, I'm surprised they actually make new ceramic disk stems for such old valve bodies.

The biggest challenge I'm sure is yet to come....as in where to find some sort of chart/reference that tells me which PP stems fit these valve bodies so I can see what my design options are. Anyone out there know who a major PP distributor is in the DFW area? Someone besides the box stores?

Last edited:

carinab

Reaction score
Just spoke to PP technical and they said that you can't replace the seats in the valve bodies with ceramic disks. Although the did say that I could replace the 910-374 stems with 910-013/34 (shower) and pick just about any handle they make so long as it the part starts with HH. BTW, the helpdesk number seems to be a well guarded secret.....until now!!! :) :) 800-732-8238

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
carinab said:
. BTW, the helpdesk number seems to be a well guarded secret.....until now!!! :) :) 800-732-8238

Hate to burst that bubble but 800-P-FAUCET is probably the most widely memorized 800 number .

lonergr

Reaction score
Trying to Replace Old PP Handles with Danco Classic Cross Style.

This is my first time using this site. Through a lot of hard research, you seem to have become a bit of an expert on remodeling a PP shower system. I want to put the Danco Classic Cross Handles on my shower--a look I really like.

I remodeled one of my showers this way, with relative ease, as I recall. However, now I cannot find a PP shower valve with a stem that is short enough to accomodate the new handles. To stop a leak, I have installed the 5 1/2 inch, 12H-2H/C stems and a 5 1/2 inch 12H-18D Diverter, but the stem handles all extend too far beyond the 2 1/2 inch flanges to allow use of the Danco Classic Cross Handles.

Does PP have shorter stems available for purchase? If so where? I cannot find any at Lowe's or Home Depot. Can longer flanges be purchased somewhere? Is ordering shorter ceramic stems an option? Your help will be appreciated, even if it just amounts to pointing this new site user to a more appropriate source of info.

Thanks! :confused:

carinab said:
Wow - Thanks for the great reply. Based on the info you gave me, I think I have managed to track down all the valve body types that I collectively own.

Just for reference for other poor slobs like me who have spent an eternity googling part numbers, I'm putting everything in one post - the whole series looks to be Price Pfister Bedford all with 910-374 stems and Windsor 940-740A handles.

The roman tub info is sketchy but I think it is either a 0X6-040R or 0X6-140R valve body used for model RT6-238P. One is fixed and the other is not - that much I could find. However, is there a way to tell the difference without creating an access panel? Is the fixed one a specific length and hence I could measure the handle spacing?

The master bath shower (model 07-118) as I said is probably the seat version of the 07-31XA valve body. Again, is there a way to tell exactly? Any idea what the old valve body model number is? Is it 07-310A? Does the XA signify ceramic disk?

And lastly, the hall bath has model 01-119 with the 01-310A valve body (99% certain on this one) which PP says is now obsolete....replaced by 01-31XA.

Given that PP says one of these valve bodies is obsolete, I'm surprised they actually make new ceramic disk stems for such old valve bodies.

The biggest challenge I'm sure is yet to come....as in where to find some sort of chart/reference that tells me which PP stems fit these valve bodies so I can see what my design options are. Anyone out there know who a major PP distributor is in the DFW area? Someone besides the box stores?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks