Vinyl PVC Trim

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am curious, how good is this stuff and is it really worth the extra cost?

I was watching a This Old House episode and they were using it on all of the trim. I went to H.D. to get a new exterior door jamb as the one currently on my house is rotting out. They had a Vinyl PVC jamb, so I bought that. It was a bit more expensive, but thought it was probably worth it for the cost...

The real question is, I have to trim out the bottom edges of my detached garage as the wood clapboard siding is starting to rot out. It hasn't hurt the framework yet, 1915 Bungalow, but I obviously need to put something down there to prevent future damage. Should I use treated, cedar, or a vinyl PVC or something else? This is for a horizontal trim board at the base of the garage wall. I will also say, I don't have but maybe 1" +/- between the bottom of the wall and the ground and at this point, I am not planning on jacking up the garage!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's good to avoid wood within 12" of the ground. When it rains, you'll get splashing that can mess with it. So, something that didn't absorb moisture would be good. At the minimum, pressure treated.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It's good to avoid wood within 12" of the ground. When it rains, you'll get splashing that can mess with it. So, something that didn't absorb moisture would be good. At the minimum, pressure treated.

I've heard 5-6", but agree, which is why I'm looking at treated, cedar or PVC.

I'd like to get a 1"x10" board. This is really why I ask about the PVC stuff, because H.D. wanted about $40-$50 for a 8-10' long board. Kind of pricey, considering I need to wrap this all around my garage, which is 16' deep and about 16' wide.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
We have some privacy walls on our decks and the water from the roof was doin a number on the cap (wood). We replaced it with an Aztec board, and they're holding up better. So, I'd go for it. The stuff expands and contracts more than wood, so you need to leave an expansion gap at the end or it will bow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks