Anything wrong with this bath sink P-trap? (photo)

Users who are viewing this thread

boyler99

Reaction score
Hello experts!

Is there anything wrong with this P-trap configuration? I just installed a new faucet and tailpiece on our bathroom sink. I used the identical P-trap configuration that the previous owner had, except I purchased a replacement P-trap and 90 degree elbow because the old ones looked really old and rusty. I am now wondering if this is the correct configuration, because I don't see 90 degree bends after any other P-traps in our house. The drain stub out appears to be a 1.25" chromed brass tube with NO threads (maybe the previous owner just cut it with a hacksaw???). So, the 90 degree fitting has two slip joints as you can see. It seems to be perfectly water tight and works great but I just wanted to make sure this configuration is "correct." If not, I am certainly willing to fix it to make it correct.

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 6,532

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

The added slip joints make it less rigid, and more prone to eventual leakage. A 45 would have been slightly better, but the best way would have been to remove that tubing from the wall and start from there with a proper connection.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Perfectly acceptable assuming the trap arm doesn't 90 once it gets inside the wall.

I know up here our code is that you're allowed 135 degrees of cumulative change on the trap arm. Again assuming your trap arm isn't 90'ing in the wall you would have a total of 90 degrees of cumulative change.

If the trap arm does 90 inside the wall you should technically replace the 90 you can see in the pic with a 45 and rotate the p-trap so they line up.

But regardless what you got there should work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks