sink drain into standpipe modification

Users who are viewing this thread

mastas

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd like some opinions on a DIY project. Currently I have top loading w/d setup. Upgrading to a front loading w/d setup that I'm going to stack and a new laundry tub.

I would like to complete the modification shown in the attached picture. Plumb a 1.5" line for the laundry tub into the standpipe.

Can I use the standpipe for venting the laundry tub? I'd also skip a p-trap for the laundry tub, since it would be using the standpipe trap.

The nearest vent after the trap is a nearby wc approximately 15' away.

The standpipe is 2", approximately 40" from the trap.

mastas

Reaction score
How is this standpipe vented at this moment?

I think under one of the codes, it is permissible to have a washer and a laundry tub on the same trap. ----

After the trap, it basically isn't vented. It's a long 2" horizontal run then 90s down to the house main. I don't think it's siphoning the trap since we've never smelled sewer....Hoping the higher discharge rate of front load washers or the addition of a tub doesn't create any problems. Wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before I make a final decision.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer needs to be vented within five feet of the trap.
The trap for the washer needs to be on the same floor as the washer, not below the floor.
If the riser is too tall, that will siphon the trap.

washer_rough_b.jpg

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before I make a final decision.

I have and it ended up being a whole lot simpler discharging the washer in the utility sink.

Without repiping it simply is not possible to keep a utility sink and a washer.

If it was that easy, I would have done it long ago.

mastas

Reaction score
Design modification

Yeah, I'd prefer not dumping into a tub...

and I figured hoping for the best isn't a good idea when stuff gets closed up behind walls so I decided to vent it (see revised drawing). Going to install the new standpipe with trap on the same floor, run it to the next stud space where it will go into a 2" santee and down and over to the house main. I'll plumb the utility tub drain over with 1.5" and into a 1.5"x1.5"x2" santee stacked on top of the standpipe santee. This stack will vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks