Wax ring removal

Users who are viewing this thread

ronnieray

Reaction score
I often read this forum but this is my first post. I remember reading the best way to clean up after removing the old wax ring to make sure you get a good, clean surface to get the new ring to work properly. My memory says the suggested product to use is mineral spirits, but I can't find the thread where this was suggested. So is mineral spirits what I should use for the final clean-up of the old wax? If not, what? I hoping to only do this job once. :)

Thanks for the help,

Ron

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mineral spirits aka paint thinner, will clean anything with a wax base. I would scrape as much as possible with a putty knife first, then take the toilet outside before using the mineral spirits. You want good ventilation. Since you can't move the flange outside, try to get it clean as quickly as possible. Latex or rubber gloves will protect the hands. In reality you don't have to get every trace off of the toilet or flange.

ronnieray

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'm getting old, and my memory is not what it used to be.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wax ring

WHY would you want to remove all the old wax? It is just like presoldering a sweat fitting. It "tins" the connection and the new wax will merge with the old and seal better, than if it is applied to bare metal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks