Valve corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread

sammyk

Reaction score
My house of 10 years old had some valves with corrosion on them. I've replaced most over the years, but they seem to keep corroding. The one with the most corrosion is on the hot water heater. I replaced that less than a year ago, but it is already badly corroded. I have never seen water leaking from any of them. My ph level is right around 7.1, and I have a water softener. I've attached pictures, as well. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Attachments

• P1010871-1.JPG
    P1010871-1.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 247
  • P1010873-1.JPG
    P1010873-1.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 233
  • P1010875-1.JPG
    P1010875-1.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 240
  • P1010874-1.jpg
    P1010874-1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 226

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

The one in the bottom/last picture appears to have had a miniscule leak at its assembly joint, not the packing nut. If so, there was nothing you could do to prevent it except to buy better valves.

sammyk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I inspected the one on the bottom right again, and it did have a small leak, and I could see some water at the assembly joint. The company is sending me a new one. I will also try tightening-up the others.

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks