PDA

View Full Version : Will Plumber know what crimp ring to use on Uponor PB to PEX fitting?

CountryBumkin
10-25-2009, 06:37 AM
I am remodeling my bathroom which includes installing new fixtures. I plan to use all PEX. The existing pipe in my house is PB. I am using the Uponor (Wirsbo) PEX and plan to cut off the PB and connect it to PEX where it comes through slab. I already bought the PB to PEX fittings from PEXSupply.

However, the PB to PEX fittings do not come with a crimp ring for the PB side of the fitting. Since I don't have a PB crimp tool, I was planning on calling a local Plumber to make the connection/crimp.

My question is, would this "PB to PEX fitting" use a standard crimp ring (if there is such a thing as a standard for PB)? Will the Plumber have the right parts on hand?

Are all the 1/2" and 3/4" PB rings the same or were there different "brands" of PB requiring different sizes/types of crimp rings (like we see with PEX fittings)?

I don't want my Plumber to just use whatever crimp ring he has in his tool box (not knowing any better) if there is a special ring needed.

I should/will call Uponor but I thought I'd start here.

Thanks

Peter Griffin
10-25-2009, 06:45 AM
keep calling around until you find one that does

CountryBumkin
10-25-2009, 07:21 AM
keep calling around until you find one that does

Sorry, I don't understand your reponse. Are you saying I should call various Plumbers until I get the answer? If so, I don't know what the right answer is. I mean, if the guy (plumber) says the fittings/crimp-rings are all the same, either he may be right, or he may think he's right. If he thinks he's right and he uses the wrong crimp ring, I have a problem (possibly a few years later).

My question is "are there different crimp rings used on PB pipe/fittings depending on who made/manufacturered the pipe or fitting"?

Thanks for replying.

Peter Griffin
10-25-2009, 07:32 AM
He's not much of a plumber if he does not know the answer but for your edification, the rings are the same yes, with the exception of those used for Watts Pex.

CountryBumkin
10-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks.

I wanted to stay at a Holiday Inn last night but got lost on the way and had to sleep in the car.

Peter Griffin
10-25-2009, 07:58 AM
BTW, You may be able to rent a crimp tool at your local plumbing supply house

hj
10-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Here, the PB crimp ring is slightly thicker and a black color.