Proud DIY A day in pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
First I see that Johnny Homeowner decided to move their electrical panel to the 1st floor from the basement:
IMG_6428.JPG

Next we see where the original panel once was:
IMG_6454.JPG

Then comes the sub panel which was also wired wrong:
IMG_6459.JPG

And of course, the main panel was also full of violation:
IMG_6463.JPG

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
Words escape me!

As a plumber in my previous life, electrical for me is a DIY. I took on building our new house and was a little apprehensive about tackling the electriacal myself. On inspection day, after 25 minutes of poking around EVERYTHING, I passed my electrical rough in (and subsequent final inspection) first time. But then I actually bought a code book (the handbook version with all of the explanations in blue background) and read everything that would apply to me.

Obviously this dude thinks he knows better. He gives DIY a black eye. But then the electrical code isn't really THAT important? :eek: Is his car held together with duct tape? :D

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That guy should be locked up before he hurts some one.

John

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
HA! Thats truly impressive! Think of the decision making process that went into that. Does he do his own plumbing too???

-rick

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
JAR, this is just toooo bizarrooo!!!

There has to be more context to this story; please enlighten us!

Did this guy actually believe what he did here is safe? Any moron would know it's not to code! Besides why the heck would he want to move the box from the basement anyway??? More details please...

Cookie

Reaction score
HA! Thats truly impressive! Think of the decision making process that went into that. Does he do his own plumbing too???

-rick

He probably works in a car dealership, the service dept. A Chrysler one.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a photo shop...it can't be real...no one is that stupid...just the time alone to do it and the cost of materials...

He watched to many Outer Limits movies as a kid...or ate to much LSD...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
box

Cut him some slack. At least he used connectors where the wires went into the panel. He might have just shoved the wire through the holes if he didn't know ANYTHING about electrical wiring.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
No photo shop here. This is the real deal.

He told everyone that he rewired his house to code. I am just trying to figure out what code.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're missing the best picture...

That being the look on "the inspector's" face when he saw that in the living room!

Let's guess...

You stopped in mid step with your mouth hung open, stared at if for a while, and did not say a word?

And now for a dumb question... That is: Why move it there???? (Even if he had done it right?)

And another; Did he get a permit for this before doing the work? I should think if he did, he would have had to do a bit of explaining about what his plans were????

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Were you the one that posted this over on Mike Holt's forum? Did you do the inspection on this house?

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
That's just......too horrible for words
Why the heck move it to that spot?
Thinking to the future when they can't walk up & down stairs?
Were they actually trying to devalue the property?

Imagine what they would have done if they weren't going to have it inspected :eek:

Or was the inspection for sale of house ?

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
This was not a code inspection for me. It is out of my jurisdiction. It was a private inspection for someone buying a home.

Cookie

Reaction score
Did they buy it? :)

I have seen many different things since, I am an agent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks