Newbie shower pipe questions

Users who are viewing this thread

eoren1

Reaction score
Hi,
Just found this site and was hoping to get some advice. I have moved into an apt and am unhappy with the shower set-up. The pipe comes out at about waist level and there is a flexible arm that extends up. I was hoping that I could use my "wonder shower" head instead. Also, on moving from the faucet to the shower setting, on occasion a stream of water will come out of the pipe where it exits the wall. I think I see a hole there but am not sure if I can simply get a new nipple to fix this.
47946530.jpg

Is there a hole in the pipe here?
47946534.jpg

What would be the best option to extend the shower head:
10_inch_Locking_Extension_Arm.JPG

S_Riser_Pipe_versus_standard_pipe.jpg

And should I buy a new nipple while I'm at it?
One more thing, will this setup do anything to help my water pressure?
Thanks a lot,
E

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Shower faucet

Before you do anything, you should talk to your landlord..He may want to get it repaire himself.

If you do the repair, Replace the 1/2" nipple at the wallfirst. Be very careful because there isn't much to grab onto. You could find a rod or hole punch and slide it into the nipple before putting a wrench on the nipple.
As for lack of pressure, take off the shower hose assembly and check for a restriction. Then you will know if the restriction is in that area. When your replacing the nipple at the wall and have it apart there, take a small pan and hold it over the nipple and open and close the shower faucet. There could be garbage in that area.........
The shower hose is just a 1/2" mip thread and your head will probably work...........

Finnegan

Reaction score
I would definitely check with the landlord. Old pipes are not fun to work with. I can imagine the nipple cracking or losing threads in the process. I would be careful before assuming responsibility for this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks