Stems are too tight

Users who are viewing this thread

nelaco

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just moved to a house built in 1966 and to of my showers don't shut all the way so I get a bit of a drip, and this is after really closing the faucets thight. I've tried to remove the stems to rebuild them or replace them, but they are just too tight. I am not sure how much torqie to use before breaking them. Any suggestions? Should I remove the stem and the part that the stem screws into also (don't know the name)? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Nelson

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
faucet

Explain what the faucet looks like and find a name. Look on the faucet handle or look in the access door...........

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Most home showers do not have access doors. From the description of the problem and the attempt to fix it, the safest solution is to call a plumber before he puts too much torque on it and break the stems or faucet body.

nelaco

Reaction score
The stem I used to replaced one that came off was American Standard 9C-23H/C stock 9DD0 15700B. I don't have an access door on either one of these showers. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Nelson

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

If you replaced it then you must have been able to remove it, and since an American Standard stem was used the faucet must be an American Standard one. The stem number you gave is probably a Kirkhill or similar one, not the American Standard part number. Did you also replace the seat, if not that is the reason you still have a leak. Your valve may be a "Colony" model.

nelaco

Reaction score
Yes, I was able to remove THAT one...but I still have 5 left. The part number was from Danco FOR American Standard at Home Depot. How do I remove the seat? Special tool, or just a long allen wrench? Should I leave the ones that are too tight alone? Thanks again for the help.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Make sure when trying to unscrew a stem that it is OPEN at least one turn, otherwise the stem tightened against the seat will fight you.

Seats should always be replaced when changing the stem, or even on just a washer replacement. Seats may need a square or hex wrench. A double ended seat wrench is available everywhere.

nelaco

Reaction score
I tried while opened, but still really hard. How easy are they to brake? I'll get the tool from Home Depot then. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Nelson

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
breaking the stem

its doubtful that is will break...

though you might twist something loose back in the

wall, so be careful...

I get people all the time that have twisted off their
single handle Delta faucets right out of the wall.....
thinking that they were turning the nut, they tear out
the whole faucet assembly

it then becomes an emergency and a new faucet is
in their future.

nelaco

Reaction score
Should I try removing the whole "thing"...what do you call it anyway. I am talking about the part that holds the stem. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks