View Full Version : Replace toilet shutoff valve

10-21-2009, 12:06 PM
I have a toilet shutoff valve that needs to be replaced. It is connected to gray PB pipe. There is about 3" of PB coming out of the wall.

I have worked with the pex to PB connectors befor and I have a crimping tool.

I have three questions.

First, what is a good brand of valve that will last and not leak?

Second, would it be better to use a threaded adapter coming off the pex to connecting to the valve so the valve can be replaced if it leaks someday?

Last, Is there a way to cover all these ugly fittlings when I am finished?

Thanks for your help!

Peter Griffin
10-21-2009, 02:34 PM
shark bite valve

10-21-2009, 03:04 PM
From what I can see it is not made for PB. The inside diameter of the pipe is not the same size as the stiffener that goes on the inside.

I don't want a leak.

Gary Swart
10-21-2009, 03:40 PM
There are Sharkbites that will fit PB. The valves are 1/4 turn which are very nice.

11-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Hey, Gary

What did you end up doing with this?

I'm working on the same problem.

Gary Swart
11-10-2009, 11:32 AM
First of all, I am not 100% certain that the pipe I was working with was PB. It was in a mobile home that has some kind of flexible pipe. I when to HD and was told by the department head that this particular Shark Bite would work. He seemed to know exactly what pipe was in these mobile homes. I bought it, took it to the house, and the valve attached perfectly. All I know for certain about the pipe is that the connections were made with rings and could not be disassembled. This is an older home, so I know the pipes are not PEX.

11-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Gray pipe is PE, regardless of what was used for the connections. Sharkbites secure to the outside of the pipe and the "stiffener" is mostly cosmetic. It is not like a compression fitting where you tighten it and squeeze the pipe to make the seal which makes the stiffener necessary to provide the necessary resistance.