"extra" holes in sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

ldmrs

Reaction score
I have a fairly new Kohler pedestal sink and it has two holes on the bottom under the bowl where water is leaking. Why are they there and why is water coming out of them? Thanks for your help.

ldmrs

Reaction score
plumber1 said:
what two holes?
There are two holes, one on each underside of the sink basin, near the back. Water is coming out of the one on the right side.

TheZster

Reaction score
Looked at my pedestal sink... it's got what appears to be some sort of "knockouts" on either side of the faucet water supply holes.... looks like they would leak from the overflow if the water got that high - and if they were knocked out.... Don't know what they're for..... but wonder if yours got knocked out by mistake....

esdguru08

Reaction score
leaking at bottom of pedestal sink

I had this same problem. The extra holes are air-vents for the overflow cavity, and/or manufacturing venting. In this cavity there is a pedestal with a hole at the top, which will allow water to overflow into the base of the sink, where these extra holes exist. What it means is that your sink is not draining quickly enough, and if the water level build-up, to be above the secondary overflow, it will drain out of the bottom holes, onto the floor. Only solution is to clean-out your p-trap, and your plunger. This problem is commonly caused by hair in the plunger, or a semi-plugged p-trap.

Last edited:

SHR

Reaction score
I call BS. hj is correct - sink is defective if water flows out on to floor. I have installed hundreds of Kohler and hundreds more of other brands of pedestal sinks and know nonsense when I read it. Whoever told esdguru08 this BS was either lying or does not have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Whoever told esdguru08 this BS was either lying or does not have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

Oh, they knew what they were talking about, it just sounds like they successfully "dazzled him with their brilliance" so they did not have to resort to "baffling him with their B.S.". As long as he did not make them replace the sink, they were successful, and everyone else made a profit on the sale of the sink, instead of having to scrap it.

Tom C

Reaction score
I have one hole at the bottom of the bowl of my pedestal sink also, and when I went to clear it the other day, after a few plunges I had water sloshing onto my floor too, which led me to this forum. Since the posts here don't seem to address the problem completely, I thought I'd ask again: what in the world is this hole for? The water that drained from it looked clean, like it was coming from my overflow opening and not from the drain I was plunging, but either way, it doesn't make any sense that there should be a hole there letting anything drain onto the floor. I'd kinda like to plug it up, maybe with a piece of cork, but I wanted to check with you experts first. Thanks.

IMG_20180303_155952509.jpg
IMG_20180303_160008747.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Porcelain needs to go into a kiln to fire it, it is, afterall, made of clay (a special kind, but still clay). That super high heat will cause any air to expand, enough to shatter things if there were no vents.

What happens when you plunge it, all bets are off. If it were to leak during normal operations, then I'd get worried.

Carwh

Reaction score
I have a fairly new Kohler pedestal sink and it has two holes on the bottom under the bowl where water is leaking. Why are they there and why is water coming out of them? Thanks for your help.
What was the solution to this problem in the end? Mine is doing the same thing. I was assuming that the sink must have been cracked until I looked and saw the overflow was coming right out of the large holes in the back at the bottom of the sink and pouring out on my floor.

PamF

Reaction score
There must be a clog in your drain for the water to build up enough to come out that hole. I just found 2 similar holes at the back of my vessel sink yesterday when I plunged the sink, and the water all came out those holes onto the floor. What I know so far is that the overflow hole leads to a cavity between the top and bottom of the sink, where water feeds into openings in the drain pipe, and then goes down the drain. In my case, the holes at the back of my sink connect to that cavity. So when I plunged, the water went out the holes in the drain stem, into the cavity, and out the holes in the back of the sink. I took the sink out, and there is no significant clog in the overflow or through the p-trap, so today I will check for a clog beyond the wall. The sink has been draining slowly, which is why I plunged. Also, in taking the sink apart, I found black gunk on the stopper and pipes. This is bacteria that gathers on soap scum, etc, probably another symptom of a clog, and should be cleaned. Be careful if you plunge, because the water might all come out that hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks