What solder to use to install zone valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

grandspan

Reaction score
I have purchased a Honeywell zone valve to replace the original (same exact valve) that is stuck in open position position. I bothered to read the instructions and it says not to use silver based solder because of the high temp it takes to melt may damage the valve.

I see that the Taramet Sterling doesn't contain silver but the MSDS sheet says that it melts at 410 degrees. Is that temp low enough? I think this is not much lower that silver solder melting point.
Lincoln Electric has a nickel based solder "NICK" and another "SPEEDY" and I'm not sure of their melting points, these are on the Home Depot website.

I'm not sure what to buy. Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Taramet Sterling is mainly Tin
About 95% TIN
This is normally what we solder with.

Silver solder is normally brazed at high heat, not soldered.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
you could use that or 50/50 because it's for heat so lead content is not a problem

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The melting point for eutectic tin/lead is about 363ºF. The eutectic alloy of tin lead is Sn63.

Sn60 melts around 375ºF, and Sn50 melts at about 420ºF.

There are many characteristics of solder which determine how it performs, how easy, how good a bond, etc. etc. It is a very complicated subject.

Even with the higher melting points, 50/50 or 60/40 are much perferred for soldering copper tubing. The lead-free era has changed the subject completely. The eutectic alloy has applications in soldering electronic components for temperature reasons, but it is not the easiest to use. Fluxing, timing, and pre-heat of the board are all critical.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks