Vent issues

Users who are viewing this thread

cloned1973

Reaction score
Hello I'm live in NY, can someone please let me know if this would work or am I way out of reaity. I just want to things the right way. If the drwaing is hard to see I'm sorry.

Scott

Any heads up would be great!

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 258

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

The way you have it drawn, the tub has at least three issues.
1. It will not be vented
2. It will have an "S" trap.
3. The main vent does not conform to the area rule, and you cannot just increase it to 3" in the attic to make it conform.

cloned1973

Reaction score
Thanks for respondiing.
Silly me for not drawing a trap on the tub, I have one there,

If you notice the drain from the tub goes to the 2 "pipe.
Just to the right it stops.

1. can I connect that to the vent going to the attic?
2. Or on the trap for the tub can come off with a T wye, one going to the drain and the other connection to the 2"vent.
3. Any suggestions about the 2" vent in the attic going through the roof. I thought I read somewhere it must be 3". I can not get a 3" up to the attic.

Sorry for so many questions, I'm close to finishing the bathroom and just want it right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

The lack of a trap in your drawing has nothing to do with it. The configuration of the drain line would turn whatever trap you use into an "S" trap and they are illegal. The vent can come off the horizontal line anywhere between the trap and the downturning 45. The only way to make what you have "legal" would be to connect the sink to the 3" riser, then run the sink vent to the attic and connect back to the main line at the point where you increase to 3". You would also have to extend the tub trap into the attic and tie it into the main line. Either both vents would have to connect at the same point, or the lower one would have to be where you increase to 3". In addition ONE of the two drains and vents, sink or tub, would have to be 2", the other could be 1 1/2".

cloned1973

Reaction score
Thank you, I only have one floor to worry
From the basement looking up, the tub is closest to the outside wall , then the toilet and the sink is at far left. Thank you will do my very best with that picture. It helps alot.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

quote; Thank you will do my very best
A football coach once told a player to get into the game and stop the quarterback. He told the coach, "I will do my best". The coach told him, "Sit down. The guy out there is doing his best already."

Last edited by a moderator:

cloned1973

Reaction score
The toilet drain is three inch. It goes through the floor, There is a 2" vent on the first 90 elbow. Turns out I can not go up at this location. Can I go to 3 feet horizontal with this 2" vent then up the exterior wall. I have a 2" pipe going up the exterior wall that is connected to the 4" that goes outside.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can never go horizontally with a vent until it is 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served. Flat vents plug up and then they don't work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks