VERY Novice Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeG

Reaction score
I'm doing a bathroom remodel and replacing builder's the tub with a Kohler whirlpool tub. I have roughed in the plumbing to the p-trap. In a couple of weeks I'll be ready to set the tub in place. However, the overflow and drain fittings that I have (Kohler K-7166-AF ) looks like it needs a fitting between the drain fitting and the p-trap. Can someone explain or provide a link that explains that connection? I'm sure it is very easy. :)

Also, Kohler recommends either setting the tub in a mortar mix or using construction adhesive. Which is easier to work with and provides the best method of setting the tub?

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• drain overflow.jpg
    drain overflow.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 417

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The tailpiece extending down from the waste/overflow Tee should drop right into the trap. If the distance is too great, longer tailpieces are available. This looks like one where the tailpiece unscrews from the trap. get a longer one and use a little teflon tape on the threads.

TheZster

Reaction score
If your P-trap is like mine was.... straight pvc with no fittings... you need to glue in a compression adapter - then your tailpiece drops straight in, the compression fitting tightens the connection. Though - as mentioned - if your tailpipe isn't long enough - you'll need an extension - either on the tailpiece or on the P-trap.

Glue VS Morter - 6 of one/half dozen of the other...both are relatively easy - with morter having the potential for being messier in my book (but provides a nice solid base).. Just as important - make sure you support the top of the tub with a solid stringer along the wall joists - under the edges of the tub...

My "unprofessional opinion"...

Last edited:

MikeG

Reaction score
THESZTER - The p-trap I have does not have a fitting so I'll have to add the compression fitting. Since this is a drop in tub it is support by 4 feet. The instructions call for not supporting it on the rim just by the feet.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks