All Moen's alike?

Users who are viewing this thread

om_wahine

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Aloha. I'm new, but not new to DIY plumbing. I recently retiled our bath and replaced the plumbing fixtures. Our house was built 6 years ago, with "builder's special" fixtures. Though I am sure they are Moen, I cannot find a model number on any of the shower parts I removed.

I was able to replace the shower head and faucet no problem, with Moen's Banbury 82910. When I got to the handle, I forgot to put in the temperature limit stop kit and put the screw in the handle. When I realized what I missed, I tried to get the screw out with no luck, it was stuck tight. After trying every size screwdriver possible I realized I would need to drill out the screwhead.

So, handle is off, but part of the screw is still in the stem of the valve cartridge. I need to replace the cartridge and the screw obviously. My question then is since I don't know the model of the original moen fixture and I didn't replace the valve with a new one, can I use the Moen 1222 cartridge to replace the one in the wall ?

All the parts for the faucet handle fit, including the temperature limit stop kit, the stop tube, the handle, etc... The front of the cartridge for the old valve even looks like the new cartridge. I just don't want to mess things up further or end up getting the cartridge stuck in the valve and have to replace the valve.

Thanks for any insights.
Jessica

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Moen is very "user friendly" in the aspect that they have used an extremely limited number of internal parts, over many years. The 1222 pressure balanced cartridge has been used for many years, and is still in use today, in most of their pressure balanced models.

om_wahine

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was able to locate an old model number on the inside of the shower handle from the original fixture along with the Moen symbol. I sent a photo to Moen with my question and the old model number. It seems to me the 1222 cartridge will work, but I'm not planning on ordering it until I hear from them about it. Will post the answer I get.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Below is a Posi-Temp valve from Moen

moen_posi-temp.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

You will not wind up with a "stuck" cartridge if you get the wrong one because they are not interchangeable. If you do not have a PosiTemp valve, the PosiTemp cartridge is too large to insert it, and if you try to insert the standard cartridge into a PosiTemp body it is much too small.

om_wahine

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Success

Thanks for the photos and the additional information. I was able to speak with someone at Moen who also mentioned that if the valve was Posi-temp then the handle would only rotate. If the handle pulled out as well as rotated then it was not posi-temp.

Once I had the new cartridge, I was able to remove the old with what Moen calls the "cartridge twisting tool," a small plastic nut that slips over the screw mount of the old cartridge to fit on either side of the plastic area of the old cartridge. It really doesn't do much except allow you to get a grip with a wrench to wiggle the old cartridge and loosen it.

Then it took a very strong pull to remove the old cartridge. Inserting the new was no problem. Everything works great.

It is interesting to me though how the original fixtures, handle, showerhead, faucet and valve had NO markings anywhere outside identifying them as Moen. There were also no model numbers. I was able to find the Moen "symbol" inside the original handle only. My work would have been much easier had there been some kind of model number. Turns out the number I had found was not a valid model number. Is it common for companies such as Moen to produce less expensive fixtures for sale to home developers in large lots that are not marked? It seems all the homes in our subdivision built at the same time have unmarked Moen fixtures that are cheaper versions of what one can find in the stores.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I've learned so much with this installation that will definitely help me with the next. On to my son's bathroom where I've completed the tiling and am picking out new fixtures. Hope the screw comes out of handle mount on this one!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks