taking out a sink now I have to finish it

Users who are viewing this thread

mdstol

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a house and the person had a luandry room set up on the first floor. It has a utility sink etc. I had the copper pipes professionally removed and the sink I removed myself. I now just have the output pipe appearing from the wall. I want to either cut the pipe so its flush to the wall and from there and seal it up. Any suggestions on how.
thanks,
mARC

Plumguy

Reaction score
Yes, cut the pipe and put a cap on it. It is recommended that you use the same material cap as the pipe for permanant removal. However, the black rubber caps with a hose clamp around them work well, there are different names for them... some call them jiffy caps,jimmy caps, etc.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
cap sink drain

There is no magic way to do it with opening the wall unless you want the cap to show. Is it copper, galv. or pvc?

TheZster

Reaction score
Necessity being the mother of invention....... Are you trying to avoid it showing at all? Patching drywall? A cover?

If I wanted it to "go away" with a permanent patch - I would take my dremel moto-tool with a cutting disc.... you can cut the pvc from the inside and "behind the wall" about an inch.... then cap it with a pvc cap. That should leave you about a half inch for patch/drywall.....

Or if a wall cover is okay - just saw it flush with the present wall... cap it - and find some sort of wall cover (search the aisles at Home Depot - electrical wall plates, plumbing access covers, etc.) to mount over the slightly protruding cap....

Not a pro - just have to get creative at times....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks