Need solution for short stop tube on Moen Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

elengeniero

Reaction score
Actually the stop tube on the valve is not short, I did a bad job of roughing in the valve when I installed it. After I put up cement board and tiled, the valve ended up too far inside the wall. The escutcheon screws just barely reached their holes in the valve. Once I installed the stop tube inside the escutcheon and the valve handle, the handle rubbed against the escutcheon and would turn past the stop position because the stop tube ended up too far inside the wall. I corrected this as best I could by torquing the escutheon screws as much as possible. This pulled the valve closer to the wall to the point that more of the stop tube protruded out of the wall. I know this is probably stressing the screws and the piping to the valve but my only other choice is to tear down my tile wall, and re-do the piping. I fixed the handle rubbing problem but it's still turning past the stop position because the stop tube is still a tad too short. Is there somewhere I can by longer stop tubes? The one that came with the valve was maybe about 3 to 4 inches long. I probably need one 5 to 6 inches long.

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Moen makes 1" and 2" extension kits ( extend the stop tube, the stem, and the handle screw) for both "regular" and positemp valves.

elengeniero

Reaction score
Jimbo,

Thanks for the reply. Is the extension kit something I can fnd at Home Depot or do I need to go to a specialty store or directly through Moen?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
extension

Home Depot may have it, but any plumbing store that sells Moen should have it. It is not inexpensive, but it is the only solution without opening the walls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks