PDA

View Full Version : Softener Tank Media Quanity

Earnie
09-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Can a .75 cubic foot softener tank hold 1.0 cubic feet of resin? If so, does this give the media enough room to expand when in regeneration?

Happy Labor Day!

Earnie

Earnie
09-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Hello Any,

Thanks for the very fast reply.

The tank is .75 cubic feet (8"x44"). The installation company said it is filled with 1.0 cubic feet of resin.

I looked at the cost difference between .75 and 1.0 tanks and found around $10 - $20 difference so I'm not sure why they selected the .75. Unless it's a size they had available.

Hardness is 4.5 and iron is .5, however I do have a second .75cf tank for iron and sulphur. Valve is AutoTrol 255.

Earnie

Earnie
09-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Andy,

Yes, iron/sulphur unit appears to be working ok but I have not re-tested to see the exact iron level. I notice no sulphur smell. Unit is the same as the softener, AutoTrol 255 with the 8x44 tank. I do not know what the media is in the tank.

Let's round up to five grains hardness and there are only two water users.

PH is 7.6. I have no numbers on total dissolved solids.

My biggest concern was if the .75 cf tank could actually hold 1.0cf which is what they claimed. I have no idea why they configured the system that way but will ask next time I talk to them. The company is a water quality only company and has been in business for many years. They have both commercial and residential customers so I suspect (?) the know something about water softeners.

Earnie

Earnie
09-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Andy,

I have no idea on any of you questions Andy but I will ask the Co. the next time they visit which should be some time this week.

To be clear, the Co. rep stated that my tank was a "32k grain" tank. It wasn't till I visited some neighbors to look at their sytem that I started to question just what I had.

Thanks for you time and help,

Earnie