GFCI for Whirlpool Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

dabensys

Reaction score
I am adding a new whirlpool tub in the master bath. The tub comes with a standard 3-prong plug for connection to a standard outlet. I have read both the 2008 NEC and 2006 IRC and can only find the requirement that the whrilpool motor be on a dedicated circuit with ground-fault protection.

My question is where should I put the GFCI? At the panel or at the outlet? For me, at the outlet would be more convenient in case the GFCI trips, but I'm not sure that's the safest b/c if it trips there, then you still have current running from the panel to the outlet. Either one is just as easy to install since I'm running all new work from a subpanel to the bathroom.

If I don't hear back, I'll go with the GFCI at the panel and let the inspector be the judge.

Thank you!

Arejayesss

Reaction score
I just did this very thing. My electrician installed 2 seperate and dedicated lines from the panel. (The extra one is for the built in heater) These plugs will be behind the Tub, so I would not be able to reset the GFI very easily. So, I had to purchase two GFI Breakers that were $60 each!!!! I believe this is the only option though. (At least in my case)

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
I would mount a faceless GFI device on the wall near the tub. Same as a receptacle except no slots to plug anything into. Then just use a simplex receptacle under the tub skirt.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yeah, don't do panel mount. Troubleshooting will be easier.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can reach the plug you can use GFCI outlets. Its the least expensive way to go and should pass inspection with no problems.
-rick

dabensys

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've decided to go with the faceless GFCI and 2, individual outlest under the skirt. I want to conceal the GFCI's; can I put them inside my base cabinet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks